Seventeen

"Coriolanus! Get Everdeen into your room and lock the key for the night. Do not let anyone in or anyone out," Dean Highbottom informed them with a hurried air as they reached the academy. Coriolanus found Whiskey's hands, protecting her.

"Wait! Sir, what's going on?" Snow caught him before he ran off.

"Just do as I say. I'll tell all the mentors  tomorrow," He sighed, waving his hand back. "I forgot to mention. Do not let anyone see Whiskey. She's in danger to being mistaken for the others."

"Are the tributes safe?!" Whiskey pleaded for an answer, trying to read his expression.

Highbottom turned and walked away, leaving Whiskey stranded. The panic was evident on her face. She just wanted to know what was going on.

"Coriolanus what-"

"Shh," He took her arm. "We need to get you to the room."

As they ran down the hallway, guards stomped along nearly catching sight of them Coriolanus grabbed Whiskey and pulled her aside, hiding her from their view. She froze, hands on his chest, his arms around her shoulders. Thankfully, his head was turned away, watching the guards stomp past, so he didn't notice her cheeks turn pink with surprise.

"Come on," he pulled her back into the hallway, running towards safety. However, just before they reached their room, out walked Clemensia Dovecote. Whiskey immediately stepped out of her view, hiding from her dangerous snarl.

"Corio, I was hoping to see you," Clemensia replied with a sweet tone. Her ponytail was so tight Whisky imagined her brain was being stretched constantly.

Coriolanus flattened down his coat sleeves, acting natural. "Dovecote," he greeted politely.

"You have heard of the drama that's happening down the street haven't you? With the tributes? Everyone's tremendously worried, as I'm sure you are too," She gossiped, touching his arm, flirtatiously. Whiskey wasn't sure why, but behind the doorframe, she felt a stab of jealously and immediately decided she didn't like the girl with the ponytail.

"Why? What's happened?" Coriolanus asked her, keeping her arm there. He lent towards her, making Whiskey feel sick.

"Oh silly snow!" She laughed. "Where have you been all evening?"

"I've been eating steak with my family, discussing finances," he lied so easily. Whiskey frowned, wondering why he had to lie. He could've explained he was walking home with his tribute, showing her the city. Was he ashamed of her? Embarrassed of being seen with his tribute?

Dovecote laughed, "Of course you were. Well in your absence, someone's blown up the zoo gate. Some silly complaints about the games, they're saying. But now all the tributes have escaped. Their roaming the streets like animals. All the guards have been sent out to find them before they attack random civilians."

Whiskeys heart clunked to the floor. No wonder she was being protected. If they found her, they would surely make her pay for leaving the zoo. And what was stopping the guards from shooting her too, thinking she was an escaped tribute?

"Oh," Snow acted calm. "Why would that affect me? I can pay to get my cousin and I into protective services where they cannot reach us." Whiskey felt confused, she thought he was poor. How would he be to pay for that? He was lying again, to impress this girl from his class.

"Aren't you in love with that tribute from district 12? I thought you'd care if the guards shot her before the hunger games tomorrow and you lost the Plinth Prize. And isn't the animal staying with you right now? I thought she'd be with you," Dovecote reminded him.

Whiskey's ears pricked up at this sentence. She tried her best to keep her breathing level to hear his answer. "In love?" He scoffed. "It's all strategy, Dovecote. You know how it is. And no, last I saw she was being taken somewhere by a guard."