The Call

"Oh my Gosh! Kelly the audition was heated and intense with Thaddeus Walker, gave me chills when our lips locked. I wasn't expecting to feel what I felt." Ava rambles on the phone with her best friend Kelly.

"You mean to tell me you got wet during an audition Ava? Do tell." Ava can hear Kelly's lips curling through her line as she waits to hear Ava indulge her with details.

"Well, you know I've been behind the scenes watching him and admiring his work..." She pauses for a dramatic effect being sure to reel Kelly in. 

"Yes, yes, I know—keep going." Ava laughs at Kelly's impatience.

"Well Kelly put it like this..." She pauses as she smacks her tongue against the roof in her mouth. "We were so into our characters that we didn't hear the Director say cut—but what I need to know is was he in character or was it real." She bites at her fingers as she thinks back to their heated kiss. 

"I would like to know too." Kelly squeals as she thinks about just how heated things could have gotten for either of them not to hear cut. "Besides that, how do you think you did?"

"I'm absolutely sure I've gotten the part, just waiting on Roger to call me and confirm." She boasts, coming off as confident and Kelly is quick to shut her down.

"Please don't get your hopes up Ava...you seem really sure you got the part, and I don't want you falling in a deep depression like before when you didn't get a role you were sure you got." Her tone comes out soft, but it still rubs Ava the wrong way.

"That's not going to happen—" She cuts at her as she rolls her eyes.  "Let me get off this phone because I'm not liking your energy." Before Kelly can respond, Ava hangs up. Hopefully I get that famous call from Roger and show her ass that acting is my calling.

She looks around noticing that her car is nowhere in sight as she walks further into the parking lot. Now I can't find my car, because of Kelly negative energy. She crosses her arms feeling annoyed as she looks around the parking lot.

"Where did I park my damn car! It's already going to take 3 hours to get home." She complains as she starts to realize just how lost she is.
Ava took a breath as she tried to look at the bright side of momentarily losing her car. She wouldn't have to be in a rush to go home to her husband that makes her feel unwanted. Their relationship also lacked in the lovemaking department—he failed to make passionate love to her like he used to when they had a new sex spark. Sometimes she wondered how she got wrapped up in a marriage with a husband that barely touched her and left her sexually frustrated.

The most excitement she's felt since she's been with her Husband was when Thaddeus kissed her. Their kiss had her imagining what it would feel like with him being inside of her.

Ava's phone rings and her eyes nearly bulge out. "Shit, Roger's calling! Lord, please let this be the call I've been waiting for." She jumps up in down as she does a quick prayer before answering the phone.

"Roger, what's up maaan! Did I get the part?" She tries to play coolly as she waits for an answer.

"Oh, I haven't heard anything" He answers, making her face scrunch up instantly feeling annoyed.

"Man get off my damn phone Roger, you play too much!"

"No Ava don't hang up on me—listen, word is they want a celebrity singer whose got acting skills." Her heart thumps in disappointment as she realizes her chance may have shrunk.

"Like who Roger?" Her voice goes quiet.

"Umm like Emily Rose is what I'm hearing through the grapevine."

"What!" She shrieks. "Oh my gosh thanks for depressing me, Roger." She scoffs rolling her eyes.

"Look on the bright side Ava...no news is good news." Roger tries to encourage her again.

"Just be real, I'm a big fan of Emily Rose and even I know that I don't have a chance to get the part. Emily Rose is a triple threat in the industry—she sings, rap, and can act. On top of that she's drop dead gorgeous." She rambles on about her not so much competitor's talents.  "Face it Roger I don't have a chance to get this movie role." She sighs in defeat.

Damn Kelly for her being right.

"Well call me when you hear anything about the role. I'm still trying to find my car, so I'll probably be home late."

"Keep your head up, Ava." She puts a smile on her face because she knows he's only trying to encourage her.

"I'll try...hopefully this three-hour drive, in rush hour traffic will help me not wallow in my disappointed thoughts." She says sarcastically before hanging up.

Fucking Emily Rose—Seriously, that's who I'm up against? A thorn in my side is how I feel about her.

Three weeks went by without a word about the role and Ava was feeling discouraged, to say the least. She thought that auditioning for small roles that Roger set up for her would keep her mind off how badly she wanted the opportunity to work on a film like this, but that failed. Each audition lacked the intensity and passion that she exuded when in the same room as Thaddeus and with each new audition she fell short because her heart desired only one role.

When she finally gets a call from Roger, her breath gets caught in her throat as her hands shake reaching to pick her phone up. "Hey, Roger...anything new?" She answers trying to be casual, but her voice is too shaky to hide how nervous she is.

"Hey Ava..." She can hear pity in his voice and her heart pounds as she has a feeling what this call is about. "Are you sitting down sweetheart?"

"Do I need to be?" Her hand trembles as she puts her nails to her teeth biting nervously.

"I think you do." Her eyes roll as she plops down in her seat, preparing herself for bad news.

"Okay, just give it to me straight Roger—don't sugarcoat anything."

"You're right, I'm sorry I won't drag this out any longer—" He sighs before he continues. "—You got the part sweetheart."

He says it so casually that she thinks she may have misheard him. "I'm sorry, what?"
"You got the part starring alongside Thaddeus Walker." She leans back in disbelief as her mouth falls ajar.

All those women in line and I beat out every single one for the part—including the A-list star Emily Rose.

She closes her eyes finally letting her tears fall as she takes a breath of relief. "I did it Roger—I got the part."

The relief of finally getting what she wanted was almost euphoric for Ava. She dropped her phone as she stared ahead of her in disbelief. Even if she pinched herself, she would still feel like it was almost too good to be true.