Four

Lennon

       "Through here is the guest-bathroom".

         I follow the real-estate agent, Niomi, inside the quiant bathroom. It's a perfect size for a guest-bathroom, including a full-size shower and a tub.

        This is a fully furnished unit on the eight floor of the newest student-housing-apartment five miles outside of campus, already nicknamed the Plaza.

       "It has all the amenities" she says. "Stove, dishwasher, fridge, washer and dryer - it's all here" she points at the items as she shows me through the apartment.

        We step back into the living-room. It's a three bedroom unit with a open-plan kitchen and livingroom area, surrounded by windows leading out to a balcony. If it wasn't for the option of pullling down the electric blinds, I would be on full display for anyone high enough up in the other towers surrounding us.

      "The master bedroom is on the opposite side of the other two, and includes an on-suite and a walk-in closet". I follow her into the master bedroom, noting the earthy-colors. It seems to be a theme throughout the unit - black, brown, green and wood-tones fill the apartment making it appear rich and put together. There's no extravagant decor, but it includes the most important furniture, like beds and a sofa. I prefer that; I don't have to spend more money on furniture, but  I can make the place my own by adding decorations.

     "I love it" I say and Niomi smiles at me.

       "You belong here" she says and the comment leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I know she means it well, but I don't want to belong here. Living in a accomodation like the Plaza is reserved for only the richest people on campus and while I technically fall into that bracket, I hate showing it off. It's distasteful and tacky.

        But getting thrown out of my home for the last two years left me without many options. Since we started at Oakwood I have lived in a house with my friends Iris and Olivia. We got partnered together through university housing and decided to continue living together during our sophomore year. The plan was to do the same this year, but when I came home after the break two days ago, Olivia had decided I had 'broken their friendship' and kicked me out. Something to do with refusing them access to Owen and his hockey-friends. I did no such thing, it was Owen who nearly chopped my head off when I brought it up so I just pretended I never asked. I guess I dodged a bullet.

       So here I am, signing the lease on a way too expensive apartment that my father pays for and my name got me access to on such short notice. Don't worry, I hate it just as much as you.

       Guilt and embarrasment engulf me when Niomi leaves me the keys and I'm alone for the first time. There's an over the top bouqet of roses and an expensive bottle of wine waiting for me in the kitchen. It makes me feel like I bought the place, which probably would have been the cheaper move considering the monthly rent I have to pay.

      I take in the extravagant kitchen. The cabinets are sleek and modern, painted in this beautiful forest-green color. The white marble counter tops are the only thing giving the room a light feel, because everything else is dark and moody. The kitchen island is black, covered in the same top as the rest of the countertops and the appliances are all built into the kitchen, hiding the steel. Everything is thoroughly thought of and nothing is out of place.

     There's a list of rules sitting next to the bottle of wine which includes five rules all tenants of the Plaza must follow; 1. All tenants must keep the place clean. 2. Recycling is mandatory. 3. All use of common areas will be tracked through your ID-card. 4. No one gets in without being on the visitors list, make sure you put whoever you want on yours. 5. Two cars only per person.