chapter one :: oklahoma .

chapter warnings : none

i felt the car pull to a holt, and glanced up ahead of me. there was a small, white house in front of us. it looked a little run down, but in actuality, it wasn't even that bad. we were renovating it, anyways. i looked over at my brother, who was smiling proudly at it. he's the one who bought it after all. i didn't know where dad was, not that i really cared in that matter. we moved to get a fresh start. it'd been hard for all of us, especially dad after my mom died. we were doing our best to get by, and dad's new found hobbies (drinking and blowing our savings on stupid horse races) wasn't exactly helping.

"that's it?" i asked quietly, looking back to the house. "yeah, it's pretty neat, huh?" my brother responded, looking over at me, grinning. he hopped out of the car, and went inside. i stood for a moment, looking around, realising this had been probably the most dodgy neighbourhood i had ever been in, and i missed new york a little bit more. then i followed my brother into the house. it was decorated quite nicely, and had this home-y feel about it. it didn't feel as bad anymore. i walked upstairs and quickly claimed my room. i opened the window as far as it would go, and flopped down on my bed. i laid there for a while, before eventually getting back up to help my brother move the rest of the furniture in, and i decorated my room to make it seem less bland then it was. i looked around, and my room looked pretty much the same as it'd looked back in new york. i missed new york. i hated dad for packing us all up because he couldn't cope. i walked around my room, seeing me and b/f/n's photos hung up on my bulletin board. i smiled gently, and remembered the day we'd taken that. it was the day we'd finished school for summer break. my mom had driven us down to the drive in, and bought us ice cream. i got vanilla and b/f/n got strawberry. we rolled the windows all the way down and bragged about how next year we would be eighth graders. god, we were so young. we were only twelve in that. the ice cream dripped down our wrists, and i remember that because i was whining about it ruining my bracelets. we watched west side story. it had just come out, and i don't even remember watching it, considering me and b/f/n walked around digging through the grass trying to find pennies for the hot dog stands. we didn't find any. we walked over to the swing sets, and b/f/n took her pentax that she'd gotten for her birthday out, and we took the photos. that was almost four years ago. i sighed gently, walking downstairs, sitting on the couch.

after b/n had finished decorating for the day, he sat down abruptly next to me. "hey y/n, why don't you go explore or something? you might make some friends. it'd be good to have a few familiar faces for when you start your new school on monday, yeah?" he said, tossing me a few dollars. my stomach sank a little at the thought of starting a new school, and the fact today was a saturday, and i was starting school monday, so that made it even worse. also, i didn't want new friends. i had a little group back in new york, and they are still my closest friends, even if we haven't spoke in a while. i hope they still think about me like i think about them. especially b/f/n. she probably does. we'd been best friends since we were kids, and had been neighbours for longer. i practically lived at her house, and she lived at mine. i shuddered, before stuffing the money in my pocket. i didn't want to go outside if i'm being honest, but i kind of guessed maybe he just wanted some alone time, and also he looked really desperate. i didn't have alot of friends back in new york other then my group, and i got bullied a little bit after mom died. it was rough. so i just reluctantly nodded, and forced a smile. "yeah, okay, i'll see you later then!" i grabbed my brothers coat and slipped it over my shoulders, and left the house, closing the door behind me. it wouldn't be that bad, right?