chapter 3: dress up

Start from the beginning

"Oh, sweetheart, being hot isn't easy huh?" her bottom lip stuck out in a fake pout. She opened her locker, turned to the large crowd of guys close by  huddled next to lockers, pretending that they weren't waiting for her. "You guys I'm going out to lunch with Aimée." glancing briefly at me, they slowly drifted away. she reached into her locker grabbing her purse; "Ok, lets go!"

how did she manage to be so perky? "How are we going to leave? your car isn't here. . ."

"I had jenkens drop it off silly!"

we were listening to the radio when she pulled over and stopped the car. "Aimee, look at me." she said quietly. I had been staring out the window, slouching in the reclined seat.

"What?" I asked confused, I thought we were going out to lunch. . .

she stared straight ahead gripping the steering wheel.

"Do you want to be popular? do you want all of this? like I guess what I'm asking is are you ready for this much change?" she finally glanced over at me. I was so caught off guard by her question that I had to think about it for a while. I took a deep breath and considered the pros and cons: I had never gotten this many complements from guys in my life, I had made Matt Hardin look like a fool, I laughed quietly about that one, and that new kid had an odd interest in me, it seemed, but the rando who smacked my butt was still some where out there..

"Yes, I think it would be a much funer high school experience." I looked over and smiled at her.

"Aimee! you just said funer! that's not a word!" we broke out into giggles "okay then lets go get lunch and then we'll go to the salon!" she started the car and pulled out into traffic driving dangerously fast.

"But we have to go to school." I reminded her. Looking at me mischievously, she reached into her purse, pulled out her iphone, and started messing with it then she held it to her ear,

"Hi Greta, will you call the school and tell them Aimee and I wont be in for the rest of the day, oh and have them gather our work for the day and send it to your office? Okay? thank you!" she tapped her screen and threw her phone in her purse, smiling at me "Done." I rolled my eyes. Wow. We pulled into a Chinese place and went inside once we were seated she ordered for the both of us. She chattered about guys and cheer-leading. Then she finally got my attention.

"Are you going to the party tonight?" she smiled at me, I hadn't really decided even though I had pretty much told the new kid, Carter, I was going. She rolled her eyes "You're going she answered for me. That was easy. "We have to find you a date. Hmmmm" she pondered it while she popped a sushi into her mouth.

 "Well actually, someone already asked me to go with them. . ." her eyes got big

 "Who!" she demanded.

 "You know the new kid?"

"No way! Carter!?" she exclaimed

 "Yeah, that's him."

she smiled at me and shook her head.

 "Well done, it all makes sense now, he was telling people all day that he already had a date! you have no idea how many girls were crushed!" she smiled brightly at me while I frowned I had no idea what was going to happen tonight I had never been to a party, I didn't know what to wear, and if they drank, or if pot was smoked! I'd heard that they had that at a lot of parties. my heart started pounding, but before I fretted on it too much, Amber drank the last of her tea, dropped a fifty on the table and stood.

"Lets go get your hair done and then well go shopping for tonight" we walked out of the door and to the car. I passed out on the drive to the salon. Amber woke me up "C'mon lets go you can sleep when we go home so your rested for the party." we walked into the salon and Amber started telling the lady what to do with my hair and I sat down so she could get to work. I sat and relaxed while the warm water and the woman's soft hands ran through my hair. she dried my hair and then I went over to the chair while she started putting color in my hair I sat for about two minutes waiting for the dye to change my hair when I asked for a National Geographic and the lady gave me a weird look and told me they didn't have any. Amber chimed from across the room that I meant a COSMOPOLITAN! amber said it as if I was a foreigner that didn't understand her. The hair dresser smiled and went to retrieve one for me.

I stared at all the pretty models and wished I had their high cheek bones and plump lips. I had to set the magazine down so that my hair could be finished. After my hair was rinsed I watched the piles and piles of hair gather on the floor around me. When she was done she blow dried and straightened my hair. I stood, looking in the mirror. My hair looked lighter and was nicely straightened compared to my usually wild curls. Amber came up behind me and smiled.

"Do you like your highlights?" I nodded. As we left she paid the smiling woman. We went to an expensive store and Amber grabbed thousands of items and we went to the dressing room I tried on numerous articles of clothing. We finally settled on a flowery shirt that was loose and hung nicely on my shoulders, a pair of skinny jeans with black flats. Amber looked pretty regular in a pair of holey, short shorts and a Hollister pull over hoodie. When we got home I went straight to my room and passed out.

at nine Amber came in and woke me up.

 "Time to wake up sleepy head, lets go." she pulled back the covers. she was completely ready and looked stylishly casual. I got my clothes on and was surprised when a small woman with fiery red hair came into the room with a stool and a large case. I looked at Amber in confusion.

"I have to do my own make up silly! I don't have time to do yours too!"

The woman got everything set up and I watched as she expertly organized a lot of make up. I sat on the stool patiently while she applied make up. I looked in the mirror and was again shocked at how pretty I looked. The short woman packed her stuff up and took the money from Amber. I was looking in my large mirrors and spining. Amber was watching me intently and smiling.

"Its party time girl." she smiled and grabbed my hand, we rushed out of my room.

COMMENT!!(: LIKE!!!(: