chapter twelve

"Bend your knees more. Yes, like that. Now move your left foot forward a bit. They're too close together." Ben nods as I move them further apart. "Okay, now, try and hit me." I take a deep breath as Ben stands in front of me, the eptiome of the calm teacher. When I think I'll catch him of guard, I punch what was supposed to be his chest, but end up hitting air as I fall forward. I stumble and turn to him, now behind me.

"How did you do that?" I gasp.

"I'm quick. And I predicted your punch, ages ago. You have to think fast. Follow your gut." Ben says, gesturing to my stomach. "Now, try again. And don't think too long. Just hit." I position myself once more, making sure to bend my knees and keep one leg in front of the other. Before I even let the thought cross my mind, I punch. This time he only has time to take a step back, and I try again. To my delight my fist hits his shoulder and I can't help but grin. 

"Well done. Try again." Again and again I go at him, exercise after exercise. I begin to feel the sweat collect on my brow. I check the clock on the wall and see we have been here for almost two hours.

"This is exhausting." I mutter, stretching my fingers after having them balled up in a fist for so long. 

"Your enemy won't care about that."

"You are literally the representation of my enemy, thought." I say sarcasticly.

"Exactly, and I say we're not done yet." Ben says, cocking his head to the side. I gape at him. Before I can say anything else, he continues.

"Try and kick me, like I showed you yesterday." Ben says "Just make sure not to put all your weight into it so that you don't fall over if you miss." He gets into position. "Like this." I watch as he elegantly goes to kick me, but stops before his foot can hit my side. "Get it?" His lifts his brows. I nod. 

I position myself once more, and do as he says, making sure to keep my balance when I lift my leg. I go to kick him, but he easily gets away and I lose my balance, stumbling before putting my foot back down. Ben shakes his head. 

"You've got to keep your hips centered." He says, walking around me. He grabs my hips and holds them tight. "Try kicking now. I'll hold and you can see how it feels to do it correctly." I blush furiously at the feeling of his hands holding me. It makes me feel small, seing as his massive hands cover half my body. 

"Go on." He says, giving my hips a small squeeze. I try to collect myself, and do the kick. I lift my leg and stop, as if I have hit a target, and bring my leg down again. 

"That's good! Exactly like that!" Ben cheers, spinning me around by the hips to to face him. I smile up at him, feeling proud of my small achievement. 

"Thank you." I say, eyes meeting his as a small smile graces his features. "Anytime, my love." He leans down and his lips meet mine. I reach my hands up to wrap around his neck, and his hands pull me closer by the waist. He break away slightly. "I can't have my girl not know how to defend herself, can I." He grins, reaching in to kiss my lips once more. I smile into the kiss. 

"Your girl?" I ask, once we break the kiss once more. His forehead comes to rest on mine.

"My girl." He says, voice deep as he brushes a strand of loose hair behind my ear. "I think that's enough for today. Let's eat." I nod as he grabs my hand and pulls me with him through the empty ship.

It had been three days since Starkiller base, and Ben and I had been alone on the ship the whole time. We were on our way somewhere, but he hadn't told me where, and I decided not to pry. I was stuck here for now anyway, might as well spend some time with Ben. When he found out I had been thaught by Rey to use a staff, but not any combat skills, he immediatly wanted to train me. So for the last three days, he's been showing me the basics, and been a surprisngly amazing teacher.