My fingers curled into fists, and anger blazed in my chest, hot denial rushing through me. Part of me knew…in a way, he was right. I still hated him for saying it though.

“Look,” I growled. “I’m really not interested in your opinion on it. Or, actually, anything you have to say. So thanks, but no thanks.”

I turned around and marched down the hall, and this time I didn’t look back when he called after me. His voice floated down the hallway. “You’re in denial, Jess.”

Man, I hated that guy…

My shuffling footsteps echoed around me as I headed for the great hall, hoping breakfast would take my mind off of everything. I couldn’t help thinking about what Juku had said though. It seemed like I’d been nothing but trouble for Asher. First off, getting him stabbed after I ran into the woods, and now I was apparently going to dilute his entire bloodline. Awesome.

Really, it was ridiculous to even think of though. Asher and I weren’t getting married, heck, we weren’t even dating. Not really.

I faltered just outside the door to the great hall. What were we then? It wasn’t like he’d asked me to be his girlfriend. We hadn’t even talked about it. Maybe he wasn’t even serious about me. For all I knew he could be thinking of this as just a brief fling. Some fleeting romance before he had to settle down and do this whole “king” thing.

My jaw tightened. I was being ridiculous, over thinking this. We weren’t Romeo and Juliet, of course it was casual. I pushed my way into the dining hall, resolving not to mention anything about this to Asher. There was no way the word “marriage” was leaving my lips in his presence. He’d probably leave a cloud of dust in his wake like the road runner.

The clatter of cutlery on plates and the clink of glasses filled the room. There was a fire burning in the stone hearth, and the smell of eggs and roast sausages hit me, making my mouth water. There were two sets of guards standing just inside the door, which was startling. Normally there was only one man in the doorway, usually slacking off and drinking coffee or something. It was different today. The hall was filled with an air of tension, anticipation, but not the good kind.

The elite guard was sitting together at their table, still in chainmail, swords at their hips. Asher wasn’t there. A few of them shot black looks my way as I walked into the hall. My cheeks prickled as a blush crawled over them, and I hoped it wasn’t too obvious. It felt like everyone was looking at me.

The sensation was more than a little unnerving. Scanning the room, I was relieved to see Cordy and Lettisha waving me over, ducking my head and rushing over to their table as quickly as I could.

“How are you?” Cordy’s voice was worried. “I heard all about what happened, are you okay?”

“I’m…fine.” I lied, and when she arched a brow at me I admitted, “still dealing with…seeing it happen.”

Her voice dropped. “Kloe?”

I just nodded, glancing around the dining hall so I didn’t have to see them stare at me with sympathy. It turned out the sympathy would have been better, because I caught two of the elite soldiers staring at me with dark expressions. When they caught my eye they both glanced away.

“What…” I faltered. “Why are they looking at me that way?”

Cordy and Lettisha exchanged a look that was loaded with meaning, and I sat up straighter. “What is it? Why are they glaring at me like that? Is the entire elite guard angry at me?”

“Look, it’s stupid. Just ignore it.” Cordy said shortly. The tone of voice she used suggested that I drop the subject, but I shook my head stubbornly.

“Tell me what’s going on here.”

Lettisha sighed. “It’s stupid, Jess, but they blame you…for…”

“For Asher getting stabbed,” Cordy finished. “They blame you for it.” She put her cup down on the table with a sharp crack, brows creasing. She glared at the cup like it had said something terribly insulting to her. “They’re just idiots.”

My fingers tightened on the edge of the table, and then I felt my back stiffen at the low rumble of laughter from the elite guard’s table. When I glanced over I felt my face prickle with heat. Juku was near the end of the table, and he seemed to be the source of the laughter. When he saw me looking he nudged the man beside him and they laughed again. I turned away quickly, face burning, furious.

I had no idea what they were saying, but I was almost certain it was at my expense.

“Don’t let it get to you. Everyone else knows it isn’t your fault.” Cordy hissed in a low voice. “Even the king and queen don’t blame you.”

Another burst of laughter sent a hot stab of anger through me. My face must have been scarlet, and people were starting to look at me, even the people sitting at our table. The surge of anger and embarrassment was too much, and I stood up abruptly, smacking my knee on the underside of the table, sending dull pain up my thigh.

Cordy looked distressed.“Jess, wait…”

My voice was choked. “I’m okay, I just…need some air.”

I hurried down the center of the room, heading for the door, keeping my head down and trying to avoid looking at anyone. I knew they were staring at me. The elite table had fallen silent, my footsteps echoed around me, but luckily there was still enough noise from the other tables to cover my hasty retreat.

I wasn’t really sure where I was going, I just ran blindly, hot tears stinging my eyes. Through the hallway, out the door of the castle and into the open courtyard. I paused, stumbling to a halt, taking in deep breaths of the crisp morning air. Somewhere far away in the forest there were birds singing.

My shoulders relaxed a little bit, and I moved more slowly this time. Made my way around the outside of the huge stone building, feeling the wind run cool fingers through my hair, brushing tendrils of it across my cheeks.

“Jess!”

The low voice behind me made me stop, pulse quickening. When I turned around Asher was following me, flyaway strands of his dark hair caught in the wind, His cheeks were flushed. “Hey, I’m sorry about the guys…”

“It’s fine.” I said shortly, turning away from him. Asher caught my arm and pulled me back, gentle but insistent. “You’re not fine. You’re eyes are all watery. You never cry.”

I blinked furiously. “I’m not crying.” This time I didn’t turn away though, and Asher tugged at my hand until I turned around to face him. He smoothed his thumb along my jaw, leaning down to brush his lips gently over mine. It was the lightest of touches, barely a kiss. It didn’t seem to matter though, it still sent a shiver through me.

“Don’t be sad,” he said. “I hate to see you sad.”

“I just hate that I was the one you got stabbed over.” My voice shook. “I hate that they’re right. They’re angry at me, and I don’t blame them.”

“I went after you,” he growled, “and there’s nothing you could have done to stop me. I won’t let you blame yourself.”

He trailed his fingertips down the side of my neck, and I shut my eyes and let myself enjoy the sensation. When his arms wrapped around me I relaxed completely, feeling like I was melting into him. It felt like everything could be okay…had the possibility of being okay, if he just kept his arms locked around me like this. 

NOTE: Not sure what to read next? I just posted my new story. Check out "The Calling of Time" up on my profile! :D Happy reading!