prompt # 6

A man shouts, "Quezada, come back here!" I smirk back at him. "You are a dead man!" he yelled again. He ran with his friends, attempting to catch up with me. This is not the ideal way to begin my story, but it is manageable. Hello! Nice to meet you! My name is Jayce Isaias Quezada. Call me Jayce. You clearly caught me at the wrong moment. As you can see, I am trying to get rid of these guys. Why? Well, let me explain later. I round a corner, still running. I must admit that I am tired, but I refuse to give up. I take in deep breaths, attempting to catch my breath.

Hands draw me to one side of the building. I could feel another body colliding with mine. I went to defend myself but was cut off when a female voice said, "It's just me, Quezada." My heart skipped a beat. Madelyn. She looked around the corner to see if the guys were nearby. This is Madelyn Cueva Vizcuya. I tried to remain still in front of the woman I had admired since I first laid eyes on her, aware of our close proximity. Oh, she smells wonderful. I shook my head briefly. I sound like a pervert.

I take a steady breath and close my eyes. I made eye contact with her the moment I opened my eyes. I swallowed nervously, and her brow furrowed. "Something's wrong with you," she said quietly, just for me to hear. "Huh?" Now it was my turn to be puzzled. "Your heartbeats," she says, touching the left side of my chest. "It's beating fast." I chuckled nervously, trying to come up with an explanation. "That's because I ran." I scratched the back of my neck nervously, laughing.

My laugh fades as she tilts her head. I stare at her, anticipating her next move. I decided to end the silence, but she said something that made my heart race. "Your eyes are really pretty up close." My eyes widened, and I opened my mouth to speak, but I choked on my own saliva instead. This is really embarrassing. Her eyes light up as if an idea has popped into her head. "Do I make you nervous?" she asked, smirking. "W-what?" I stuttered, facepalming myself internally.

She laughs. "Don't worry, I won't tell." I rolled my eyes, trying to be cool. "Hahaha, very funny, Vizcuya," I remarked sarcastically. She shrugged and took another look around. "The coast is clear." She grabs my wrist, running away from our hiding spot while being careful not to be caught. I keep staring at her hands. She is gripping me firmly but gently. Her hands are smooth and soft. "Jayce." I look right at her. I hummed in response to the question. Her eyes rolled. "I said we were almost there, and I need you to notify him."

"Oh, right." I push the button on the side of my pants. After a few minutes of running, we came to a stop in a cleared field. We climbed up upon seeing a jet. A male voice spoke up, saying, "Good work." Meet Mio, Madelyn's youngest brother and my closest friend. He patted me on the back and hugged his sister. "If Madelyn hadn't come down there to save you, you would probably be injured by now." I glared at him. "Are you implying that I'm incapable of fighting?" he shrugged. Madelyn hits him in the head first, before I can. Mio rubs his head, saying, "Ow!"

"Stop being a menace and drive back to headquarters." Mio glared at her and walked off to the cockpit. "Whatever." I thanked her and she gave me a smile in return. This girl has saved me twice now. Well, technically, once, but a guy can dream. I must thank her properly one of these days.

Jayce was engulfed in a tornado of feelings and ideas as the jet engines roared to life, taking them back to headquarters. Madelyn's smell lingered in the air around him, her presence both reassuring and thrilling. There was a peaceful quiet in the air, a break in the storm, even though their previous escape had been chaotic.

Jayce sneaked glances at Madelyn as they soared into the sky, attempting to read the mysterious depths in her gaze. Every moment he felt had been stolen was a window into a world he had always wanted to discover. He couldn't get rid of the sensation that there was more going on between them than just friendship and camaraderie.