Chapter 2 - The Luck of a Snow

Coriolanus - Third Person

"Let me get this straight," said Strabo, his hands intertwined atop his desk, "You come into my study at, what, four thirty in the morning, concerned about my daughter's prospects?"

He wanted to tell him how it was either that, or suffer the fate of laying in bed pondering every word Lucy Gray had ever said to him, but him and Strabo didn't talk about her and he planned to keep it that way. Besides, while it was quite early in the morning, that also meant that there was no one else awake to interrupt their conversation. He could say what was needed without fear of Strabo's work serving as a distraction.

"You could say the worry has made me restless," his tone was buttery as he spoke with his signature grin, "Ever since you first mentioned your plans for her I've pondered if there's any bachelor out there currently who's worthy of marrying a Plinth."

What he said was partially true. The pickings were slim, unless of course you counted the president's nephew, Felix, but then again his name would mean nothing once his uncle fell out of power. Really, he himself was the only realistic prospect. Of course, he couldn't just flat out say that. Spoken arrogance was beneath a Snow—that didn't mean he couldn't think it though.

    "Believe me Coriolanus, so have I," the man leaned back into his chair, breaking eye contact, "I'm actually quite glad that you brought it up. I've been meaning to ask you a favor."

This is it, he thought, it has to be. The best part was, he didn't even have to fight for it. The last few months made it seem almost as if his luck grew back with his hair.

"I hesitate to ask this of you, but I want nothing but the best for my daughter," he said, reestablishing eye contact. His face was sincere as he leaned forward, "I don't care if she's loved in the traditional sense, I just need her to be with someone who can ensure her well-being. After the spectacle her brother caused, it's of the utmost importance that Pandora is represented by someone worthy of respect. Someone who won't tarnish their own name, and subsequently hers."

Her brother. Sejanus. It was true, his little attempt at giving back to the districts had led to a whirlwind of collateral damage for the other Plinths, and of course his inevitable death. Poor Pandora. Going back to the Academy next week would no doubt put a lot of stress onto her. He knew what their peers were like to her brother for just voicing his opinion. He could hardly imagine the ridicule she'd face for being the sister of a traitor. If he hadn't already graduated, he would've been sure to defend her. That would be hard to do from university.

"I think you're the only young man I know of who can provide this for her," Coriolanus tried to hide his excitement. Is this what it felt like when the tributes became victors? He hated to say it, but it had to be the same rush that Lucy Gray felt when she won without having to fight. He scooted up on his chair and lightly furrowed his brows trying his hardest to look more intrigued than victorious, "Do you think you could do that Coriolanus? If not for her then for me."

"You ask like it's a burden," he replied with a light chuckle, "Truly Strabo, it would be an honor. Besides, I owe you quite a bit."

The truth was he might have owed Strabo even more now. Really, him just willingly handing his daughter over to him was a welcome gesture, but incredibly unexpected. He wondered what Ma would think of this arrangement. Surely she'd be ecstatic. The same darling boy who was with her son until the bitter end would also be with her dear Pandora until death did them part. He could already taste the pastries she'd make for the wedding, whenever that may be.

The two continued on with their conversation, discussing the way they'd need to go about this. Strabo confirmed Coriolanus' suspicions. Pandora Plinth was stubborn. She'd rather be cast back out to district two than marry just because her father said so. Obviously, they could just tell her to suck it up, but even though Coriolanus was fine with having a wife who hated his entire being, Strabo wasn't exactly keen on dragging his daughter to the alter kicking and screaming. As usual though, Coriolanus had an idea.