sixteen - arena + viewing room - knife

the arena:

i look down at little wovey. a couple of tears fall down her cheeks. "don't cry wovey"

they start walking closer to us. the circle gets smaller and smaller. my breathing gets slightly faster and so does my heartbeat.

one of them throws their knife at wovey. they miss, but barely. this makes her cry even more. they all laugh at her.

coral however, walks right up to me.

the viewing room:

wovey cries and they all laugh at her. i look over and i see her mentor. she looks upset and kind of angry.

coral walks right up to ophelia, "what? are you gonna cry too?"

she looks dead in coral's eyes but doesn't say anything. coral holds up her knife. she puts it in front of ophelia's neck.

my breath hitches. another tribute walks up to wovey and does the same to her.

"what're you mad at me for?"

"oh don't play dumb, you know why"

"no i really don't"

coral's jaw clenches.

"if you're going to kill me at least tell me why"

"i- i can't" she stutters.

this time coral looks like she's going to cry. she lowers down the knife. her grip loosens and before she can register was has happened ophelia grabs the knife from her hand.

ophelia takes a step back and looks around. the others move over for some reason and let them run. they run into this sort of vent looking thing.

"well sorry folks we didn't think to put a camera in the air shafts. but ... we'll have one next year!" says flickerman with enthusiasm.

arena:

we crawl into a small vent or shaft or something like that. it's small but can fit us both, luckily. they don't come after us surprisingly.

i reflect on what had happened not that long ago. what was that about? coral clearly has something against me, although i have no clue what it is.  the good thing is that now i at least have the knife.

"are you alright?" i ask wovey.

she nods. "are they going to hurt us again?"

"i'm not sure." and that was the truth.

i notice how there are no cameras in here. this means that technically tributes are not supposed to be able to go in here. this also means that no one in the Capitol can see what's going on or what we are doing.

this is could be a good thing or a bad thing. they won't be able to send us anything which will make it harder because now we've gone somewhere around 30 hours without food or water. the side effects are going to hit soon. and when they hit, they will hit us hard.

"in a little while, once we make sure no one is out there we can go out and see if our mentors can send us food and water. okay?"

"okay"

through the metal pieces i can see the arena. it seems that only one person is out there. but, they are on the structure that marcus once hung from.

in order to kill us they would need to have perfect aim. looking at the state she's in, she doesn't seem like that would be a skill in her possession.