ten - the capitol - alive, for now

tribute zoo:

i sit against my rock. i hold my rose. the petals are turning brown. a couple petals have fallen off by now.

my head shoots up and out of my thoughts when i hear gravel moving. i slowly turn my head around to see who is at the fence.

my heart lights up a little at the sight of him. he's alive. i stand up and walk over to the fence trying my best to stay quiet and not wake the others.

"hello"

"hi. are you okay?" i ask.

"i'll be fine." i notice how his hands are shaking against the fence. his knuckles are white from how hard he's holding on. i look up at him.

"how are you feeling? i mean the Games are tomorrow."

"i'm not sure. i feel like it's all a dream."

"i wish it was, for your sake"

i touch his hands. he flinches slightly. "why are you holding on so tight?"

"i'm stressed. there's so much pressure on me tomorrow. i can literally control your life and death"

"it's fine. okay, my odds are so low that when i get killed you wouldn't have been able to do anything about it"

"don't say that"

"i can't win coriolanus"

"you got so many donations. people love you!" he whisper shouts.

"i'm so scared"

"earlier i went back into the arena. when the bell rings run away from the middle, alright? don't go towards the weapons. there is a hole in the ground that leads to tunnels and rooms underground. get into that and hide. that can keep you alive for a while."

i nod. "you need to promise me that you won't give up on yourself okay?"

"yeah" i whisper knowing that if i say anything louder that it will turn into a sob.

"you'll be alright" he says softly. he reaches out and cups my cheek. "you can do it."