"A left ventricular assist device?" Maia glanced up, fixing her glasses. Dinah raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, that," the Polynesian girl laughed. "Nerd."

"You won't be calling me that when I'm a world famous brain surgeon," Maia teased, rolling her eyes. Dinah just laughed and shook her head.

"It's so fucked up," Bea muttered, crossing her legs underneath her and running a hand through her brightly colored hair.

"Hey," Dinah glared at her, holding up a finger to hush her. "It's fine, kiddo. Don't worry about me. I've got this," she flexed her muscles, making the other three girls laugh quietly.

"My family is gonna be here soon, though. So you better get outta here before they realize you're not in your rooms," Dinah added, glancing at the door.

"Can we visit you tomorrow?" Maia asked. Both Bea and Camila nodded in agreement. Dinah glanced at the time.

"My surgery is early tomorrow morning, but I'll make sure they know that I have to see you guys once it's over," she laughed softly and stood up. "Wish me luck."

"Good luck," Bea said softly, pulling Dinah into a hug. Maia and Camila did the same before following Bea back out into the hallway, just as the breakfast bell rang.

"I feel bad," Camila said softly as they walked down the hallway. "I didn't know that about her until now."

"She doesn't like talking about it," Bea looked up. "She just tries to laugh it off most of the time." Maia nodded in agreement. Camila bit her lip, remaining quiet for the rest of the walk.

Breakfast passed by slowly. Camila picked at her eggs, practically having to force herself to eat something because she knew she'd be starving later if she didn't. She continued to glance at the clock =, debating whether or not to leave early.

Leaving early meant running into Lauren. Which could either be a good or bad thing. Camila forced herself to stay seated. She didn't need to spend more time with the girl and have herself falling harder.

Camila didn't like not being able to express what she felt for the green eyed girl. There was just... something. And it frustrated her to no ends that she couldn't put her feelings into words.

The last thing she needed was to be around Lauren and discover even more little things that made her feelings heighten. She just needed to distance herself. Lauren had a boyfriend. And she... well, she was dying.

She was nearly falling asleep at the table when the bell rang. Yawning, the small girl put her tray away and followed behind the other patients as they filed into the classroom.

She sat on her usual spot in the back of the classroom next to Bea, who had her feet propped up on a table in front of them and was painting her toenails bright red.

"They really let you get away with anything if you're a terminal," Camila laughed softly. Bea looked up and shrugged with a small smile. The girl's eyes quickly widened and she looked back down. Camila grew confused, that was, until she felt a pair of piercing green eyes boring into her.

She forced herself to ignore Lauren. It'd be easier this way. She just couldn't get close. It would only make things a million times worse.

Camila practically kept her head down the entire class. She could see Lauren occasionally glance over at her out of the corner of the eye. Each time she wanted to look up and give the girl a small smile, but each time her brain reacted before her heart could.

When the bell rang, Camila practically sprinted from the classroom. She cursed herself for being so awkward, but she couldn't help it. She was the first at the lunch table.