Ch. 3

Y/n settles in that night looking around her cabin hopefully. She can't help but think maybe this won't be too bad. As she sat looking at her fireplace her mind would wander back to Bernard. The way he would have a confidence throughout the workshop. The way he naturally took control of his space, and yet was still polite. The way he would guide her, the butterflies reappeared in her stomach as she thought back to it. She soon fell asleep, cuddled up on her sofa. The dancing flames comforting her. 

Next morning, a knock at her door startled her awake. She opened it wincing at the brightness of the snow. "Hello?" She grumbles leaning on the doorway. "Good morning," she starts to become more awake to the sound of Bernards voice. Trying to push down her crazy hair. "Hi, what's up?" 

"It's your first day of work, thought I made sure you were there." She nods looking unenthused, "I brought coco." He adds shaking the drinks lightly, making her giggle. She opened her door more and he stepped in. "How did the bed work out? Warm enough, we weren't sure how your used to things." 
He calls as she goes and get dressed, he looks around awkwardly. "It was a bit cold, but I slept by the fire, and I was good!" She called through the muffled bedroom door. He nods, subconsciously telling himself to get her more blankets, and make sure she subscribes to the log route. That way she never runs out. She walks out in a thick coat, and he laughs to himself. "What?" She asked, "Nothing, it's just I rarely see those. Were all used to the cold." She looks down at her coat. "Should I change?" She asks her voice dripping with honey, making Bernards heart melt. "No, I promise you look good. As long as you're comfortable." 

They walk together to work, sipping their coco in silence. "So, my uncle sent you to get me?" 

"Uh, no I thought you could use the company." He says absentmindedly, "really, you just surrender your morning so I would have coco?" She asks skeptically, he stops and turns to her. "No, I surrender my morning so you would be more comfortable." He smirks and continues to the workshop. She nods with a small smile and continues to sip her coco. 

The day goes by, and she reads about two hundred letters. She had two other elves work with her who showed her the ropes. Hobie, and Jen, both seemed sweet enough. Her uncle, and Bernard are making their rounds. Eventually making their way to her workstation. "Hi, Santa." Her colleagues say in unison, she glances up putting down her card. "Hi," she mumbles rubbing her neck. "How we doing Y/n?" Her uncle asks hopefully clapping his hands and rubbing them in anticipation. "That is my read pile. This is my list." She mumbles and Bernard gives her a small smile. which she returns, "I'm sure she will get faster Santa." Jen reassures, and Y/n furrows her brows. "What!? I have been making great time. Look at my pile!" 

"You're doing fine Y/n, elves just work differently than humans. So, I am sure your coworkers do not mean to be so sarcastic." Bernard comforts glaring at your coworkers. Her uncle nods along, and they keep walking. "Thanks." She grumbles picking up her letter again. "Wow," Jen whispers to herself. "What?" Y/n asks setting down the letter again. "Nothing, just Bernard really must like you. I mean look at your read pile. You've barely read three hundred." Sarcasm and annoyance drips from Jen's voice. All caked in fake honyness. "You know for a Christmas elf your kind of suck." Y/n mumbles making the elves around her gasp. 

"What?" She asks looking around, "does she not?" She asks looking around, her uncle and Bernard come back with hands on their hips. "What is going on over here?" Bernard asks looking at the elves. They all look toward the ground scratching the back of their necks. Sighing Y/n tells them what she said, "but that does not get that kind of reaction. You'd think I stabbed her in the eye with a candy cane or something!" Bernard sighs and lowers his voice, a little gentler than it was with the others. "We try to keep a positive mindset, and attitude toward ourselves and others." 
 "Hey, tell that to the jolly green jerk over there I didn't do anything." Her uncle sighs, "Y/n can I see you in my office." She rolls her eyes but nods. following him to his office.