-1-

Harsh rain was coming down in the late afternoon. Cars and people were rushing to get out of the rain and into their warm homes. In front of an elementary school, near the gate was a child crouching and holding his body close together. The cold rain made his usually spiky hair flat, his wet clothes sticking to his body, with tired eyes he watched as people walked by ignoring him. 'Pathetic,' he thought to himself as tears welled up in his eyes, 'All of them.... '. Waiting for his guardian to pick him up, he slumped his shoulders; his eyes slowly closed.

When he opened his eyes once more, the first thing he noticed was how cold his body was. He couldn't move his fingers much. Next he noticed how dark it was outside, the sky almost pitch black with snow falling lightly. The last thing he noticed was the woman gently speaking to him with a concerned look on her face. "-ling..... Me... Darling, can you hear me?" he looked up at her with dull eyes and slowly nodded his head. The woman let out a sigh of relief and gave the young boy her black puffer jacket that was obviously way too big for him. The boy instantly felt his body warm up in her jacket. He watched her as she zipped up the jacket on him, taking a good look at her facial features. She looked up at him and gave him a reassuring smile. She gently rubbed his shoulder to warm him up and asked him questions. "Darling, what's your name and what are you doing out here in the cold so late at night? " Thinking about why he was still at the elementary school he burst out crying. Reacting quickly the woman brought him into a warm hug.

After hugging the woman for a while the boy eventually calmed down and let go of her. The woman looked at him and gave him a sad smile. " Darling.... Is it okay if I called the police?" He looked at her with relief and slowly shook his head, "I-...I'm scared of them...and I don't like them." The woman nodded her head in understanding and rubbed her arms together, she took a look around spotting a cafe sign across the street. She gave the boy a nod in the direction of the cafe. "How about we warm up in there and grab something warm to drink?" The boy's eyes lit up in excitement at the thought of drinking hot chocolate, and he gave her a quick nod as he tried to stand up. The woman let out a quiet laugh as the boy's leg was still asleep, the boy gave her a pout and an embarrassed look. Before he could ask her anything, she easily scooped him up in her arms. She flashed him a big smile and asked if it's okay that she carried him over to the cafe. He gave her a shy nod as he wrapped his arms around her neck. As she carried him with a secure grip on him and with a small smile, the boy laid his head on her shoulder and couldn't help but ask himself, 'I wonder... is this what it's like to have a mom?'

After a quick walk the pair walked into the cafe, they were instantly hit with a warm breeze and the smell of vanilla and bread. The boy whipped his head and took a look around, giving a small smile at the baked goods that they had. They approached the male cashier, and the woman gave him a small smile before taking a look at the menu. The boy also looked at the menu but he knew what he wanted already. The woman asked if he knew what he wanted to which in response he whispered in her ear, secretly afraid to order himself. She let out a small laugh and proceeded to order. "Hello, can I get a large green tea with extra honey, a large hot chocolate with extra whipped cream and caramel, and two croissants?" The male cashier, who seemed to have been staring at her with a rather flushed expression, asked shyly if she could repeat, which she did with a knowing smile. They sat in the back booth where the boy sat across from her. The woman looked at the boy with a slight concerned look while he nervously played with his fingers and looked around ignoring her. She let out a quiet gasp and the boy quickly whipped his head in question. The woman had one thought.... She forgot to introduce herself. "My name is Amelia, Amelia Reyes." She said gently with an awkward smile. Suddenly a small hand reached out to shake her hand. The boy's eyes shone with light and he gave her a grateful smile, "Megumi, Megumi Fushiguro.... It's nice to meet you, Amelia-San."