“When I came to Hogwarts seven years ago, it was the elder students who took me under their wing. The Court, the Prefects, the older years. They’re your family and in this family we expect great things” Eliza said seriously before she let a smile cross her lips “We expect you to know to stay away from the fire-whiskey, that the hot-chocolate is for everyone and that by the end of seventh year you should never lose a bet”

“None of us would lose if it weren’t for you Potter” someone hollered from the crowd followed by raucous laughter. Eliza didn’t bother defending herself, they were probably right.

“In Slytherin you’ll grow and learn and become the best of the best but right now? You’re here to enjoy yourselves – and most importantly, sleep”

Eliza gestured to the prefects, turning away from the first years who were now looking a lot more relaxed “I’m sure you can explain the rest of the rules to them right?”

The prefects led the first years away and Eliza took the opportunity to flop dramatically back onto the sofa, almost crushing Theo in the process who let out a resigned sigh.

“Skirting on your duties again I see Potter” Severus drawled and Eliza smirked.

“What can I say? I’m just reaping the benefits that come with actually making it to my seventh year”

“We’re all surprised you lasted this long as well” Draco quipped and without looking Eliza lobbed a cushion in his face.

“Speaking of lasting” Eliza drawled, raising an eyebrow in Severus’ direction “What are you still doing here? We all thought you’d be far away living like the hermit you really are by now”

Severus scoffed “As if I could leave you in this castle unattended”

The man turned on his heels, sweeping out of the room and Eliza felt a grin grow on her face. She couldn’t deny that she was touched, the fact that the man was willing to stay an extra year just to watch over her. Just to have that extra time together.

“Thanks for visiting Uncle Sev” she called after him just to ruin the moment and laughed when many resounding ‘goodbye Uncle Sev’s’ followed her declaration. The doors shut just in time to muffle his rather impressive string of swearing.

It really was nice to be back.

~

The first week passed in a blink of an eye. Slughorn was joyfully teaching potions and Severus was even treating the Gryffindors with a modicum of respect in their defence lessons. McGonagall still held her post as transfiguration professor thankfully, and Hagrid was still teaching which meant Eliza wasn’t regretting her choice to continue with care. He’d even mentioned doing a lesson on kelpies at the end of the year – Eliza did often wonder how her old friend was doing.

Speaking of old friends, Eliza had just visited Jormy down in the chamber. He was thankful for the supply of food over the holidays but Eliza knew he missed the company. She couldn’t imagine how lonely it was, all those long heavy years spent all alone. She’d used her time-turner to spend the day with him, finding him dozing at the foot of Salazar’s study. He’d asked about her studies, about the war – about Tom.

But eventually she had to leave him behind is dinner time approached – Merlin knows Daphne would have her head if she forgot to have tea again. Stepping out of Myrtle’s bathroom (it was closer to the great hall than the slytherin commons) Eliza blinked in surprise when she almost ran into another girl, saving herself with quick reflexes.

“Potter” Granger greeted cordially, although there was a sort of anxious restlessness to her that made Eliza narrow her eyes “We need to talk”

“Don’t we all” Eliza said drily and moved past the other girl. She had her court to meet up with and then she had to sort out her houses plans for Hogsmeade – maybe another Samhain celebration? It would be nice after the year they had last time.