“And what year are you going into Lovegood?” Eliza asked trying to establish a rapport with the girl.

“I’m going into my fourth year now” Lovegood said and then seemingly out of nowhere tacked on “You’d make a rather good teacher you know”

Eliza shot a bemused look at the girl but let the comment lie. The entire conversation as they made their way to the castle was full of odd seemingly nonsensical diversions such as that but Eliza found herself enjoying Lovegood’s company. She wasn’t like the rest of the sheep that filled the school, she was strange and unusual with connections that could only help Eliza. She met all the requirements Eliza needed to waste time on someone.

Finally they reached the castle and they all hopped out of the carriage. Before she and Luna parted ways the younger girl turned to look at her – gaze sharp through those ridiculous glasses.

“I hope they don’t have tea at the feast, I’ve sworn of drinking tea this year. I do hope they serve pudding though”

And with that she walked away.

“That girl is absolutely crazy” Blaise said with a shake of his head and Theo hummed in agreement.

“So am I” Eliza said as they made their way to their spot at the table “and yet you all stick around me”

“You’re a different kind of crazy Eliza” Draco said as he and Daphne emerged from the crowd, taking their places at the table next to them.

“I swear the first years get smaller every year” he said as he slid into the seat next to her. Daphne rolled her eyes as she elbowed Blaise to get him to move further up the bench.

“You were that small one – a small tiny first year” Daphne said and Draco snorted.

“Yes but I also had an ego to compensate for it”

“Had the ego?” Blaise stressed and Draco turned to him with a lecherous smile.

“Well I’m not compensating for anything now”

Daphne let out a pained groan and face-palmed the table and Eliza laughed quietly. It was nice to finally be back with her court.

As the first years were led into the hall by McGonagall Eliza quickly scanned the staff table searching out the new Defence teacher and instantly felt despair fill her.

“Oh no” she found herself saying as she stared at none other than Dolores Umbridge sat at the staff table wearing a hideous amount of pink. Draco followed her gaze and mirrored her expression of horror.

“Is that who I think it is?”

Eliza nodded numbly. This was Tom’s fault, she knew it was.

“Care to fill us in you two?” Daphne asked staring confusedly between them.

“That is Dolores Umbridge. Undersecretary to the minister-

“One of the largest embarrassments of the British government” Draco cut in.

“And our new defence teacher” Eliza finished grimly as the sorting continued at the front of the hall.

“Okay but why is she here?” Blaise asked lowly as they all clapped for the newest Slytherin student. Eliza was just about to share her thoughts when Dumbledore stood up to deliver his usual welcome back speech. Eliza was just preparing to retreat behind her occlumency shields or contemplate if she would be able to vanish Professor Snape’s pumpkin juice from all the way across the hall when she heard an irritating ‘hem hem’ echo across the hall.

Umbridge had actually just interrupted the headmaster.

This was going to be one hell of a year.

Eliza listened intently as Umbridge delivered her speech. Although most of it was interrupted by her courts acidic commentary around her.