FOREVER MINE - Chapter 25

CHAPTER 25

As usual, Angel hadn't gotten much sleep. He was up early and walked over to Sofia's room, careful that he didn't wake Alex. He needed to get to the bottom of this whole Eric thing, and he didn't want Alex there riling Sofia up to the point where'd she say something absurd like she had last night.

He'd known Eric too long and trusted him completely. There had to be more to the story. This wasn't a conversation he was looking forward to. He wouldn't even know where to start, but he had to do it fast before Alex was up.

He knocked softly on Sofia's half-opened door before peeking in. To his surprise, she was already up and on her computer. She minimized the screen she was on when he walked in.

To his relief, he didn't have to think of something to say. She spoke first. "Are you mad at me?"

Angel lifted a shoulder. "I don't know."

She stood up and closed the door behind Angel. The expression on her face reminded him of when they were kids. Sofie had always been handled with care. It's what they were taught for as long as he could remember. And it stuck real well. No one messed with Sweet Sofie. Not then—not now. Angel sat on her bed, and she took a seat back at her desk.

"Look, what happened last night was my fault. I take complete responsibility." She spoke in a hushed voice, and her eyes seemed to plead. "Angel, he gave me a New Year's hug, and I kissed him."

Angel stared at her. "Why?"

She looked at him then away. "I like him. I always have."

This was not what Angel had wanted to hear. He shook his head. Eric was like family and Sofia was . . . well, his baby sister, damn it. He stood up, not sure what to say.

"No."

"No, what?" Sofia stood up in front of him.

"You can't."

"Why not? Jesus, you guys act like I'm a baby. I'll be seventeen this year—Sarah's age when she started dating you."

Angel's jaw locked. "That's different."

"How?"

"It just is, Sof."

Angel tried to walk around Sofia to leave. This conversation was over. Alex was right. Eric would just have to stay away. But Sofia didn't let him by her. She put her hand on his chest and looked him straight in the eye.

"You and Alex are going to have to face it sooner or later. I'm not a little girl anymore."

Angel wasn't used to her being so dauntless, and he didn't like it. "Dad won't have it either."

"I'll handle daddy, Angel. Just promise me you won't be mad at Eric. It really wasn't his fault."

Angel nodded and she let him by. That hadn't gone exactly as planned, but he was relieved he wouldn't have to be mad at Eric. Alex was a different story. The image of Eric kissing his baby sister would be branded into his hard head for a while. But he'd have to get over it eventually. Unless he wanted Sofie reminding him over and over that she was the one who initiated the kiss. Angel shuddered just thinking about it.

He didn't want too much time to go by and make things weird when he finally talked to Eric. Not only that, the conversation he had with Sofia had left him uneasy. He needed to get a few things straight with Eric. He planned on calling him later that day, but Eric beat him to it. His phone rang just as he walked into the restaurant.