FOREVER MINE - Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

"You have a problem, asshole?" Angel demanded, his face inches from Jesse's, his forearm at Jesse's neck.

Jesse's face reddened as he struggled to get the words out. "I-I'm was jus' messin' with her."

Angel turned to face Sarah, without loosening his grip on Jesse. She stood there wide-eyed, a hand over her chest. "Are you okay?"

Sarah nodded. "Yeah."

Angel turned back to Jesse's face which by now was a nice shade of deep crimson. He pushed him one more time against the bleachers, slamming his head against the wood siding.

"Get some fucking manners," he snarled.

Released, Jesse fell to one knee, coughing and gasping for air. Again, Angel turned to face Sarah. He took a few steps her way. She still held her hand to her chest, and her eyes remained on Jesse who, now on his feet, continued to cough. She finally looked at Angel, with those eyes that were beginning to haunt him.He was determined not to clam up again.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He fought back the urge to pull a strand of hair away from her face. She smiled at him for the first time.

"Yeah, thanks," she replied. "You didn't have to do that. He was just being a little pushy. I could've handled it." She stood up straight, putting her hand to her waist.

"Yeah, maybe you could've. I just don't have patience for idiots."

A few people had noticed the scuffle and slowed as they walked by, but not enough to call the attention of any teachers.Again, she turned to watch Jesse huff away embarrassed, still coughing and rubbing his throat.

"He'll be fine," he said annoyed that she might actually care.

Sarah shrugged, and they started back slowly toward the gym.Walking so close, side by side, Angel was distracted when their hands touched for just a second. He refocused on his reaction to seeing Jesse push himself on her. It was typical of him to want to help, but he had gone a little overboard. He could've just pushed him off. Instead, he really wanted to see Jesse hurt.

He stared at her now, eyes narrowing. "Is he a friend of yours?"

Sarah glanced his way but turned away quickly. "That's not what I would call it."

Angel tightened his jaw and stared straight ahead for a second then turned to back her. "What does that mean?"

She focused on the cheerleaders, who were now staring at them, especially Dana. Angel ignored them, his eyes fixed on Sarah instead.

She finally looked back at him. "We hung out once a long time ago."

Hung out? "You dated him?"

"Not exactly."

She never completely looked him in the eye, and the frustration was getting heavier. Jesse was one of the biggest assholes he knew. He couldn't imagine her being involved with him in any way.

They reached the gym before he could push further, and she gazed at him. She put her hand on his arm and every hair on his body stood at attention."Thanks again for what you did back there."

Angel couldn't help staring at her eyes."I'll see you around." She took her hand off his arm and began to walk away.

What? That's it? No way was he letting her get away so fast. He grabbed her hand as she turned from him. It was soft and small in his big brawny hand. His heart raced.