New Girl

Shinichi is back!
I am happily humming that in my head everytime I remember that. It has been 2 years since he was gone and I've missed him so much. And it just has been 2 weeks that he finally return.

We go to school as usual today. In the class, sensei give a news about newly transferred student. Everyone got excited and debating whether the new transferred student will be a girl or a boy, and whether they are good looking or not. I only laugh at their excitement. New face always gets everyone excited indeed.

I glance at Shinichi. He doesn't join the excitement. He only looks around with a bored face.

I look down and frown a bit. Actually, I also recognize that he's changed. He is not as fussy and arrogant as he was. He's more reserved and calm now, even cold. And he is more quiet. And sometimes I caught his mind wandering around, just like now. But it's fine as long as he is back.

"Everyone, please behave and meet our new comer, Shiho Miyano," I hear the teacher said. I look back to the front of the class and my eyes widened. The class also goes silence for a full 10 seconds before everyone --- well every guy, shouts in triumph.

The new face is a girl, and a totally stunning one at that. She has a skin as porcelain and a strawberry blonde hair that reaches her neck. Her figure is tall and slim, and curvy enough to make the girls sighed in jealousy. And she doesn't smile.

"I'm Shiho Miyano. Nice to meet you all," she said flatly. She seems to be unbothered by the reaction around her. She seems cool.

"I just told you guys to behave," sensei chuckles and roll her eyes. "Miyano, you can sit beside Kudo." She points the empty chair beside Shinichi.

I see the guys frowned in disappointment, as if they are more than willing to throw their chairmate away if it can get Miyano-san to sit with them. I glance again at Shinichi to see his reaction. He is also staring at the new comer with a thin smile on his face, as if he was proud. Is he proud because the pretty girl will sit beside him? They nod to each other when she come to the chair and sit beside him. Then they don't talk at all.

It's weird. Don't people normally at least exchange name in their first encounter? And Shinichi used to be a busybody who initiate the first conversation. Does he stop doing that also? But the class is starting, so I shrug off the thought about them.

***

It's a lunch break. I tidy up my table and head to Shinichi's table, only to find it full with our classmates.

"Miyano-san, where will you have lunch?"
"You can join us for lunch, Miyano-san."
"Where did you come from, Miyano-san?"

Oh right, the pretty new girl is sitting with Shinichi.

I get closer to their table and I can see Shinichi is leaning on his chair, looking slightly annoyed, and Shiho sitting straight on her chair, looking very annoyed.

"You're buzzing and it gives me headache. I would like to enjoy my break in peace, so mind your own business." She said coldly.

Hearing her response, the boys stutter and looking at each other accusedly. I saw that Shinichi smiled thinly to himself, looking amused and more relaxed. He then get up, take a glance at her and call her with a low voice, "Miyano."

Shinichi and Miyano-san stare at each other for a second. I saw the reluctant in Miyano-san's eyes, but she also get up. Shinichi then walks to the door with her followed.

"What was that?" I hear Sonoko voicing out my thought. "I thought that he will be different, but I guess boys will be boys when they see pretty face, after all."