𝑪 𝑯 𝑨 𝑷 𝑻 𝑬 𝑹 𝑻 𝑾 𝑬 𝑵 𝑻 𝒀 ᅳ 𝑭 𝑶 𝑼 𝑹

Start from the beginning

"That sounds good." Kim's smile faded and instead the corners of her mouth turned downwards. "You still have problems with stuttering? Don't you practice regularly?"

"Shut up", Avery snarled, her blood boiling, her cold gaze now enhanced with a menacing glint in her eyes. "You have no right to give her more insecurities, you've done that long enough. She made great progress until you showed up again!"

"Oh please, as if you were able to properly care for her", the blonde spat, her words falling venomously from her lips. "You're only with Happy because he needs a nanny. Or do you seriously think he would otherwise voluntarily bring a junkie into his home?"

Admittedly, Avery was a little taken back by Kim's words. She stared at the blonde, nostrils flaring. "How do you know about this?"

"I have my ways, Avery", Kim purred, sounding provocatively calm. "You better get off your high horse before you fall any lower."

"Mommy", Debbie tugged lightly on Avery's hand, which held hers tightly. "Can we g-go, p-please?"

Even though she was only four, almost five, years old, Debbie still noticed that Kim was the one who was being mean. And she also saw how upset Avery now was, which made her want to leave.

"Did youᅳ", Kim cut herself off and let out a humourless laugh, shaking her head. "Did you just call Avery mom, Debbie?"

"Yes, t-that's what s-s-she is", the four-year-old said with a shrug and cuddled up to the redhead after Avery picked her up. "Daddy said t-t-that when Avery and he g-get married, we'll be a real family anyway."

As shock crossed Kim's face, Avery couldn't help but grin victoriously. "Well, apparently I'm more than just a nanny with a junkie past, huh? Now if you’ll excuse us, we have to get going.”

As she walked past, Kim grabbed Avery's arm, her nails digging deep into the redhead's flesh, making her clench her teeth. "I won't give up on my daughter that easily. I won't let a fuckin' carrot head destroy my family."

"You're m-mean!" Debbie pushed Kim's hand off Avery's arm and glared at her womb donor. "I d-don't even want to see you."

Startled, Kim shook her head, her fingertips cupped over her mouth. "But Debbie-"

"You heard her", Avery snarled, who couldn't have been prouder of the four-year-old. "Stay away from us before something worse actually happens."

Without another word, the redhead finally turned the corner and hurried to the dance studio so that Debbie wouldn't be late. She still felt immense anger and knowing that Kim knew about her drug addiction worried her, but having Debbie defend her and stand by her like that definitely made her day.

Happy's grip on the beer bottle in his hand became so tight that it could break in his hand at any time. “That bitch really said that?”

"Yep", Avery nodded, rubbing her face as they sat on the couch. After they had put Debbie to bed, the redhead had told him about the run-in with Kim. "Can she get Debbie back, Hap?"

"No", he growled lowly, his gaze dark and deadly serious. With a loud clink, he sat the bottle back down on the coffee table, leaning forward and resting the rounds of his elbows on his knees. "I'll make sure she never comes near Debbie again."

"What are you going to do?", the redhead asked cautiously, freeing herself from the thin blanket before sliding forward. She rested her chin on his shoulder while she wrapped her arms loosely around his right arm. "Please just don't do anything that could get you in trouble. Debs and I need you."