𝑪 𝑯 𝑨 𝑷 𝑻 𝑬 𝑹 𝑻 𝑾 𝑬 𝑵 𝑻 𝒀 ᅳ 𝑭 𝑶 𝑼 𝑹

After a hectic, tiring day at work, Avery was looking forward to finally being able to breathe a little and spend a nice afternoon with Debbie

After a hectic, tiring day at work, Avery was looking forward to finally being able to breathe a little and spend a nice afternoon with Debbie. Today was the rehearsal of Debbie's dance group for the performance that would take place next week.

Of course, the four-year-old was excited and therefore quite excited and could hardly stop talking about the dance choreo as they made their way to the dance school, holding Avery's hand.

"And, and, we'll g-get a trophy if we win", she said, her words almost stumbling over each other. The stuttering was hardly noticeable anymore.

It's gotten better and better over the last few weeks after Christmas, but the stuttering would probably never go away completelyᅳ at least that's what the doctor said at the last appointment. For Happy and Avery that was perfectly fine, the stuttering was part of Debbieᅳ but they would continue to support the four-year-old to make things easier for her later in life.

"I'm sure you'll win. I mean, look at you", Avery pointed at the beautiful dress Debbie was in, looking absolutely adorable. "And you're all great dancers. You know that, right?"

Debbie giggled sheepishly as Avery looked at her so proudly and squeezed her hand encouragingly. "Yes, we are. Is Daddy coming t-to watch my performance? I want him t-t-to be there!"

"Of course he's coming, sweetie", Avery replied immediately. Happy would never miss something like that, not when his daughter was part of it. "Lyla, Ima, Gemma and Tara are coming too. Is that okay with you?"

"Yes!" Debbie's eyes lit up. "I like t-that."

"Perfect", Avery chuckled, but her mood immediately changed when Kim ran into them as they were about to turn the corner. Instinctively, Avery pulled Debbie a little closer to her, the grip on her hand tightening.

And Kim also seemed anything but thrilled to see the redhead, although her gaze softened a bit when she looked down at Debbie. A smile even crossed her face.

"Hi sweetie", she crouched down and tapped Debbie's stomach with her index finger. "You look pretty today. Mommy missed you, you know?"

"We have to go." Avery's icy stare said enough. It wasn't just anger at the woman who had never shown any interest in her daughter. It was also jealousy that arose in the redhead when Kim still called herself Debbie's 'mommy'.

"You can give me five minutes with my daughter", Kim snorted before her eyes were back on Debbie, a faint smile on her bright pink lips. "How are you doing?"

Unsure whether she should answer, the four-year-old looked up at Avery, who gave her a quick nod. Even if the redhead didn't want Kim to talk to Debbie, she wouldn't confuse the four-year-old and forbid her to do things.

"I'm f-f-fine, I'm about t-to rehearse for my dance p-p-performance", she said cautiously, her stutter becoming much more present in Kim's presenceᅳ which was proof enough of how nervous Debbie was around her birth mother.