Chapter Two

Alfonso's Pov

The entire family was in uproar.

I could practically smell the regret wafting through the house as everyone experienced the same existential crisis.

Demetri, Giovanni, and Lucien, my three sons, took the news especially hard.

They were always tremendously close with their sister growing up and learning that there is still a piece of her left in the world caused a ripple in the Familia.

I however need to see this girl for myself to evaluate the situation.

Even if she is blood, she was not raised by me and my family, and that alone makes her an outsider.

My wife and I are very hesitant about the situation.

Having a stranger living in the house with us is dangerous, no matter how much my sons already want to spoil her.

Getting a call saying you have a granddaughter whom you've never met before and who wants to meet you is all very suspicious.

The adoption agency had provided us with pictures and all of Adeline's paperwork from when she gave Enid up but I would still need to call my doctor to get a DNA test.

If it's true then my Familia and I have a long road ahead of us.

Getting to know a fifteen year old girl who did not grow up in Italy is going to be a challenge.

I doubt she even speaks the language.

As tough as it will be for us, it will be ten times harder for her.

The last thing I need is a spoiled American teen living under my roof.

When I went downstairs for dinner, my wife Francesca seemed jittery than I was.

While she is still hesitant about the entire situation, I can tell she is secretly very excited about having a young girl in the house.

I can already picture the credit card bills that will be piling up after their shopping sprees.

Francesca and I entered the dining room together and I pulled out her chair at the table and helped her sit before I myself sat down.

Smiling, I kissed her hand as I sat down as per our tradition.

From the head of the table I could see my entire family clearly, and I would soon have a clear view of the girl as well.

She would have to show herself soon if she didn't want to be late to dinner.

God forbid I have to go upstairs and drag her down myself, I'd told Austin to clearly tell this girl to be on time for dinner.

I do not tolerate disrespect in this house.

My jaw ticked as the maids lining the dining room walls fidgeted, forced to wait to serve the food until everyone was seated.

Just as I was about to reach my breaking point, Rune, who rarely shows up for family dinners, pushed open the dining room doors.

The bang as the back of the doors hit the walls was obnoxious.

Even though I preferred to have the entire family present for family dinners, I made exceptions for Rune due to his line of work.

As a result, he was seldom in attendance at dinner time and usually ate in his office much later at night.

However, it appeared Rune was not alone today as he held the door open behind him.