Chapter Nineteen

"I'm sorry, angel. I'm trying, okay? It's just a lot more difficult than I thought it would be."

Michael was clueless when it came to these situations. He didn't belong here, and all the other pregnant women starring at him didn't make him feel any better. Standing in the baby aisle, Michael awkwardly tried to find an outfit for his friend's baby. He'd have better luck if she knew what she was having, but he couldn't wait to give her something. Maybe a cute little outfit would get her more excited about her pregnancy.

It had been two weeks since her doctors appointment and she was finally starting to show a bit more. She was bringing strange foods into the office to satisfy her cravings, and she was always a bit nauseous when she came in during the mornings. As far as their friendship went, they were friends who made out.

Jo always said the same thing, that it couldn't go further than that, that they couldn't continue to do what they were doing, but she never did anything about it. She was all talk, and that was perfectly fine with him.

Today was Friday. She hadn't been at work yesterday for...well, whatever it was that she did on those days, and he couldn't wait to see her. He couldn't decide on what to get her, so he picked out a pink dress and a blue onesie in newborn sizes. He grumbled the whole time during checkout, kicking himself at wondering if he'd gotten the right thing.

He smiled when he saw her vehicle parked outside the cooperative, rushing inside with the bag of clothes in his hand. "Hey," He greeted her at her desk. "Enjoy your day off?"

She smiled softly. "Yeah, it was alright."

He looked down at his bag before tossing it to her. "I saved the receipt if you want to return them. I didn't have a fucking clue what I was doing. Sorry in advance."

She smiled widely, pulling out the tiny outfits that made her heart swell. "Michael," She grinned at him. "This is so sweet. These are adorable, thank you so much. You didn't have to do this."

"Yeah, I know." He shrugged awkwardly. "Just thought maybe you'd need them eventually."

She held the fabric in her hands, admiring the cute little clothes that she'd get to dress her baby in. She couldn't deny that she was happy about having a child. Sure, it couldn't have been at a more terrible time, but she was having a baby. "Thank you." She said genuinely. "This is..so sweet."

He nodded, giving a stiff smile that felt forced.

"So," He cleared his throat. "Throwing up yet this morning?"

She chuckled at his awkwardness. "No, I'm feeling pretty good today."

"Good." He tapped her desk, scanning her features for any new bruises. Either she was getting better at hiding them, or he was reaching. Maybe he was just paranoid like usual. "I have lunch reservations for us at 1:00 at an Italian place down the street, so be hungry."

Her alarms always when off in her head when he said things like that, but she was never strong enough to deny him. What was so wrong with being his friend? She deserved something nice for once. She could control herself.

"Alright." She nodded. "I'll see you at 1:00 then."

"Hey, something's wrong." Mutt barreled into Michael's office. "Jo's got herself locked in the bathroom and she won't come out. I think she's crying."

Michael's eyes widened and he jumped up from his desk. "Take me to her."

Mutt and Jeff knew all too well about the...situationship between the two of them. Mutt was more aware of how much Michael cared for her, so he knew that if anyone would be able to get Jo to come out, it would be him.