Chapter Seventy seven: The Past Or The Future (6)

Start from the beginning

"I was surprised to see such an unfinished painting. Even the brush strokes aren't proper."

She could have just took it lightly and smiled at him, but she got offended at the words that insulted her favorite artist.

"...The artist wanted to capture the moment. People who see this painting can share the moment that he saw."

"Hm."

The old gentleman stroked his chin with his wrinkly hands at Chloe's words, laced with passion and excitement. She was taken aback by his reaction. It wasn't something she was supposed to be so worked up about, but she got too excited nonetheless. She felt her cheeks flush.

"But of course, we all have different views."

Chloe hurriedly added before trying to walk away. However, the old gentleman stopped her once again.

"May you rest in the peaceful arms of the Empire. I'm Theodore Monnet. May I ask for your name, my Lady?"

"Oh... May you rest in the peaceful arms of the Empire as well. I'm Claudia Diaz."

She returned the old gentleman's greeting rigidly.

"Diaz Family. You must be from the southeast."

"Yes."

The port city of Etra, where Chloe settled down, was located in the northeast.

The reason why she settled down there was because she thought the northeast, which was moderately far away, would be better than the southeast, where people knew much about the Diaz Family.

"You're also a foreigner here. I was traveling, too, but I got fascinated by Etra's beauty and decided to stay there."

"Yes, me too."

Chloe responded with a smile she used in social events. However, she suddenly felt burdened by the old gentleman's easy going demeanor.

"It must be fate since we met each other out of town, so I want to give you a small gift."

"No, you don't need to..."

"Please take my painting, Madame Diaz."

The gentleman said while pointing to the picture Chloe was looking at.

"No way."

Chloe couldn't say anything for a moment and remained still.

Since Amone kept a low profile, many rumors followed him. She assumed it came from the mouth of people who love to talk, so she just brushed it off.

She suddenly remembered that Amone had started to paint at a late age.

"I want to give it to someone who recognizes its value."

It was Amone. The painter she had admired so much stood right in front of her.

***

"You've come."

Reaching the end of her memories, Theodore entered the drawing room.

The kind-looking old man had gray hair. He smelled faintly of tobacco and alcohol made from distilled apples.

At first, he looked like a plain old man, but now he was a plain old man who loved cigarettes and alcohol.

However, his wisdom was as deep as the wrinkles on his face, and the words he uttered were laced with the experience he had acquired throughout the years he had lived.

He seemed to resemble Chloe due to his completely different resolutions. However, they could be friends due to that.

"I hope I didn't interrupt your work."