Mossdapple and Spottedleaf shot each other a glance before entering the medicine den. Bluestar followed them in.

"I need advice," she admitted.

"What is it?" Spottedleaf asked, sitting down.

"I saw a kittypet today," she started. "His pelt was bright orange and glowing like fire. His hunting is a little rusty, but with some training..." She trailed off.

"You think he could be the fire," Spottedleaf finished.

"Yes."

Mossdapple looked at her mother.

"What do you think you should do?" Mossdapple asked.

"I've asked Graypaw to stalk him. If his skills are any good, I want to ask him to join the Clan."

Mossdapple nodded. "Then that's what you should do."

Bluestar's ear twitched. "You think so?"

"He could be the fire that saves our Clan," Spottedleaf agreed.

Bluestar nodded. "I agree." She looked between the medicine cats. "Thank you."

Spottedleaf dipped her head and Bluestar left the den.

"A kittypet joining ThunderClan," Mossdapple breathed. "What will the other Clans think?"

"It doesn't matter," Spottedleaf shrugged. "Maybe he will save us all."

Mossdapple woke up in StarClan and headed for the river. Her heart broke with every step. She was aware with every breath she took that she was taking herself further and further away from her mate.

"Mossdapple!" Birchface trilled, running up to her. "You came."

Mossdapple pulled away. She couldn't stop the mist from clouding her eyes.

"What is it?" Birchface mewed, staring at her.

"I can't do it," she sighed. "My Clan needs me."

Birchface looked away. "You're right," he choked.

"I'm so sorry."

He looked back up at her and licked her forehead. "You're making the right choice," he mewed. "You need to be there for your Clan, and to cherish every moment you have alive."

Mossdapple nodded. "I understand that now."

Birchface pulled away. "What happens now?"

Mossdapple held back a sob. "We can't be together, can we?"

Birchface stared at her. "No, we can't."

"I want it so bad, but..."

"You have a duty in your waking life," he agreed.

Mossdapple touched her nose to his. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," he whispered. "I'll wait for you for countless seasons if that's what it takes. As long as StarClan is here, I will wait for you."

"I'll wait for you, too," Mossdapple promised.

"You know where to find me. Just follow the river."

Mossdapple held back tears. "When I die, we can be together forever."

She pulled herself away and ran into the overgrowth. She had never run so fast in her life. She just knew she needed to get far, far away from her mate before she changed her mind.

She slammed into a fuzzy white pelt, throwing her backwards into the bracken. She shook her head to clear it and looked up.

"What in StarClan are you running from?" Snowfur growled, shaking off her pelt.

Mossdapple couldn't hold back on her emotions.

"Everything's gone wrong," she whimpered, her eyes turning misty.

"What's going on?" Snowfur's gaze turned tender as she sat next to Mossdapple, laying her tail over her shoulder.

"I can't tell you," she cried.

"Why not?"

"I just can't!" Mossdapple looked at the ground, turning it wet with teardrops. "You wouldn't understand."

"Mossdapple!" Snowfur's mew was stern. "Tell me what's going on. I will listen," she promised.

"I'm in love with a tom," Mossdapple blurted out. "But now it's over, and I don't know the next time I'll see him!"

Snowfur stared at her in silence.

"I never should have let it happen," Mossdapple mumbled. "I'm sorry."

"Does anybody else know?" Snowfur demanded.

"Just Spottedleaf," Mossdapple sighed. "We kept it a secret in fear of being outcast."

Snowfur looked up at the sky. "You're so much like your mother," she breathed.

Mossdapple looked down. "It's over now. I told him I need to be loyal to my Clan and my duties as a medicine cat."

"It will be alright," Snowfur soothed. "You made the right choice."

"I don't know what to do now," Mossdapple wailed. "All I ever do is come to StarClan!"

"Perhaps it's time for that to stop," Snowfur suggested. "You could limit your visits, and spend more time in your waking life."

Mossdapple stared at Snowfur. "I can't."

"Why not?"

"I just can't," Mossdapple mewed.

"Yes, you can," Snowfur insisted. "There's so much more for you in your life than coming here. You have a family and friends and responsibilities to your Clan." She sighed. "I know it's tempting to come here and escape from it all. But you need to be stronger."

Mossdapple stared at the stars. "I will do my best," she vowed.