Chapter 28

"Not so hard!" Mousefur complained. Mossdapple frustratedly lessened the pressure on her wound.

These cats can tear each other apart in battle, but wail in pain over some herbs, Mossdapple thought.

Three moons had passed since the Clan had suffered from starvation. Stormtail, Poppydawn, and Swiftbreeze had all joined the ranks of StarClan after growing too weak to keep anything down.

Mossdapple had continued to meet Birchface, too. Her visits to StarClan had once again grown more and more frequent. The thing that frustrated her most about the battle was that it was keeping her away from him.

The Clan had just returned from a battle at Sunningrocks. RiverClan saw how weak ThunderClan had grown at the Gathering and sent a patrol to reclaim it. Bluestar had ordered ThunderClan to fight back, but still weakened by hunger they had lost.

White-eye had suffered the worst injuries. She had lost her blind eye completely.

Mossdapple finished treating Mousefur and stepped outside of the medicine den. Clear newleaf air ran through the clearing. Mossdapple felt cleansed breathing it in after getting used to the stuffy air in the medicine clearing. She watched as Sandpaw and Graypaw wrestled, practicing techniques after not being allowed to participate in the battle.

ThunderClan was weaker than it had ever been. They hadn't lost a battle on their own territory in many seasons, and they had fewer apprentices than ever after the greencough epidemic.

Mossdapple let out a sigh.

"How are the injuries?"

Mossdapple turned to her mother. Bluestar sat down next to her, staring out at the camp. Mossdapple realized how old her mother had gotten. She had lost seven of her nine lives already.

"How can StarClan be so cruel to us?" she exhaled.

"StarClan can't change fate, they can only watch," Mossdapple sighed.

Bluestar looked at her daughter with respect. "When did you become so wise?"

Mossdapple shrugged. "Guess the StarClan cats are getting to me."

"Your Clan needs you more than ever," Bluestar mewed. "But you seem to be in StarClan most of the time now."

Mossdapple shook her head. "Just some nights," she lied. She spent every night in StarClan now, balancing her time between Cloudberry, Snowfur, and Birchface.

Her Clan didn't need her. Nobody did. They had Spottedleaf.

"Don't lie to me," Bluestar mewed simply. "You're thinner and more ragged than any of your Clanmates. You look like you're dying."

Mossdapple self consciously looked down at her pelt. She was right, it didn't look good.

"I need some air," Spottedleaf announced as she exited the den. Mossdapple took her place, entering the medicine clearing and tending to the wounds of Redtail and Tigerclaw. She heard Bluestar and Spottedleaf talking outside.

Once she was done treating her Clanmates, she stepped into her den and got comfortable, hoping to meet Birchface again. She woke up in StarClan.

Mossdapple began to walk through the forest, headed to the river. She looked at the stars for directions, and saw one shoot through the sky. She suddenly felt very distant from her body.

Fire alone will save our Clan, a voice whispered in her ear.

Mossdapple spun around, looking for the source of the voice. But no one was there.