Chapter 12. Blood and Ash

Start from the beginning

Viserys looked at her with the eyes of an executioner, but she didn't even flinch.

"Then I ask a simpler question. Is it better for the realm if the Crabfeeder thrives, or is vanquished?"

He sighed heavily as his shoulders began to shake with laughter. The man shook his head and Cerys gritted her teeth.

"You are still too immature. Just like your ideas." Viserys patted her on the shoulder as he stood up from his chair. "I will not anger the Free Cities by pleasing Daemon."

"If one day a box with his head turns up on your doorstep, will you say the same?" She turned to her father.

"You need to have a little more faith in the gods, Cerys." Viserys smiled, as if explaining the most obvious things. "And then the Seven will reward us for our patience."

The girl's lips pressed into one thin line and she nodded.

"Of course, Your Grace."

He walked up to Cerys , squeezing her shoulder with one hand. "I'm glad you listened to me, my daughter." She smiled.

But as soon as her father hid her behind her back, the Targaryen girl's face lost all emotion. She nervously played with the rings on her fingers and cast one more glance in Viserys' direction before leaving his chambers.

Let the old people and children rely on the gods, she will administer justice now.

With each new step, the picture of the Crabfeeder cutting off Daemon's head became brighter and clearer in Cerys's head. She could literally smell the salty waves and drops of blood splashing on her face. She could hear her uncle's head rolling towards her feet, bouncing off the stones with a thud.

It almost swallowed up the girl, took all her thoughts with it, when a quiet voice was heard in her head.

No.

She won't allow it.

The Moonborn's fiery breath could melt stone and Cerys would burn down every cave if it meant Craghas Drahar would crawl out of his hiding place like a rat when you warm up their cage.

The sun was just rising from the horizon when she approached the hill where the white dragon slept. He shook his body, getting rid of leaves, grass and dirt. His huge muzzle came sharply towards his rider before stopping just a few centimeters away from her. The Moonborn exhaled through his nostrils, blowing a stream of wind across Cerys' face. But there was no fear or doubt in her eyes, only determination.

"The time has come."

The dragon roared, raising its head high up. The girl's lips curved into a loving smile.

Her three-headed dragon brooch sparkled in the light as they rose into the sky. The air was cold and at first squeezed the lungs, but over time, Cerys' body relaxed and the bonds fell off.

For a while, all that the princess could see was the endless depths of the Narrow Sea, which was sometimes accompanied by green islands of land. But among the cries of the seagulls, she managed to hear the clank of steel. Her grip on the handle of the saddle tightened and Cerys directed her dragon higher so that they were completely hidden behind the clouds. But even there, a few meters above the sky, she could hear the smell of burnt wood from ships passing by. Rage boiled inside her, but Cerys did not allow the scream to leave her throat. She swallowed the anger and hatred that rushed out, instead fueling her rage and madness.

Drahar felt that a catch was somewhere close, but Daemon Targaryen, who laid down his arms in front of him, dulled his vigilance. His men surrounded the man, taking his sword away. But neither the mercenaries nor the dragons were visible. He let his self-confidence blind him. And when one of his followers raised his steel to strike, a huge shadow covered Drahar's warriors. A giant beast appeared from the clouds, giving out a deafening roar, and the Crabfeeder managed to hear Daemon Targaryen's laughter through it. He laughed like a madman.