to charleston

—

Kirsten sat in class, hardly paying attention to what was going on as JJ had yet to stop tapping at the back of her chair. While she wanted to be upset, she knew this would be the only way he'd sit still.

"Mr. Sunn, can I borrow Pope for a minute?"A man stepped in the doorway of the classroom.

Mr. Sunn frowned, "We're in the middle of a test."

"I'm from the Vanderhorst Foundation."

"Mr. Heyward, it's for you."

Pope stood from his chair, taking a quick glance back at his friends before he walked out the room, 

"Thank you. Good to see you, Pope..."

It was only a few minutes before the Heyward came back into class, instantly leaning in a way that didn't make it obvious he was trying to talk to his friends.

"Okay, what was that?"

Pope lifted an envelope to show them, Kirsten's eyes widening, "Is that the wheat symbol?"

"Yeah." Pope nodded.

JJ's elbow hit the desk harshly, "What the f--fu... fu... fudge?"

"Nice save." Kirsten shook her head.

•••

"Is this a game of tag?"

"I don't know. "

"Am I gonna have to beat you with your protractor? What's going on?"

JJ's loud voice got an immediate response from the librarian, one that he ultimately ignored as that was far from his biggest concern. Kirsten, on the other hand, wanting to avoid any problems, sent an apologetic look in her direction.

"Seriously, Pope, you are driving me insane." Kie spoke softly.

The Heyward leant against the table as the twins took a seat in front of the computers, "Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee. Take a look at this. Read it."

JJ got hold of the note, eyes scanning the paper before Kiara scoffed,

"Out loud."

Pursing his lips in embarrassment, JJ gave the note to his girlfriend, "I can't read cursive."

"Dear Mr. Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B. Routledge. It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 King Street, Charleston at 8 p.m. sharp tonight. Please come alone. Regards, C. Limbrey."

Once Kirsten was done reading, the others shared concerned looks,

"What the--Charleston?"

"That's pretty far, no?" Kirsten frowned.