Chapter 22: Waiting Just for Him

Start from the beginning

[Brother Bai is the gentlest alpha I've ever met.]

Bai Shanyao: "Really? Mr. Nan thinks highly of me."

"Since you address me as 'Brother Bai', can I call you 'Nan Nan'?"

Bai Shanyao stirred his milk tea on the table a few times but never took a sip.

Nan Yi nodded.

Bai Shanyao noticed the slight pink hue on his earlobes and chuckled softly.

After a short while, the two left the milk tea shop.

Bai Shanyao offered to drive Nan Yi home, but he declined. He didn't want to inconvenience anyone, especially when He Yushen's driver was waiting for him in the parking lot.

Before parting ways, they exchanged WeChat contacts, with Bai Shanyao scanning Nan Yi's QR code.

On his way home, Nan Yi opened WeChat and accepted the friend request from Bai Shanyao, whose profile picture was a cat, and labeled him as 'Brother Bai'.

He also added the driver who'd driven him.

"Mr. Nan, the next time you need a ride, just message me on WeChat. My name is Xiao Wang." Xiao Wang said as he opened the car door for Nan Yi.

That morning, unable to reach his regular driver, Nan Yi had messaged the butler at the old house, which led him to get in touch with Xiao Wang.

[Alright, I might need your assistance more often in the future.]

Xiao Wang: "It's my job, Mr. Nan. And Mr. He has instructed that I solely drive for you from now on."

He Yushen?

Nan Yi was taken aback, surprised by such meticulous care.

He presumed the butler might have mentioned his needs to He Yushen, as it was unlikely that He Yushen would allocate a personal driver for him out of the blue.

Nan Yi couldn't help but be a tad sarcastic in his thoughts.

However, having a driver meant he could start job hunting.

The thought excited Nan Yi.

That entire afternoon, he stayed in his room, sending out resumes.

But after spending hours doing so, most employers lost interest once they found out he was mute.

After countless conversations, Nan Yi felt numb.

While he understood employers prioritized efficiency, the rejections still saddened him.

It seemed, being not just physically challenged but also a low-grade omega, even surviving was a challenge.

Nan Yi was acutely aware.

He knew He Yushen might not keep him around for long. There was no affection between them; his current comfortable stay in the mansion was merely due to their bond.

One day, he might have to leave.

Perhaps it's when He Yushen finds someone more to his liking, or perhaps after Nan Zhi returns, regardless of the outcome.

Nan Yi must always have a backup plan.

He won't leave on his own accord. From the day he agreed to the arranged marriage, Nan Yi had prepared himself for all possible outcomes.

However, he hadn't anticipated Nan Zhi's cold-heartedness.

When the traditional job search failed, Nan Yi thought of the comics he loved.

Maybe he could create from home.

It took Nan Yi three to four hours of job hunting, but only ten minutes to determine the direction of his endeavors.

He immediately wanted to order drawing tools online, but he realized he didn't know the exact address of He Yushen's mansion.

This led to the following scene.

Nan Yi held his new phone with a card on the table, gazing blankly out the door while seated on the sofa.

By the time He Yushen entered, Nan Yi had dozed off on the couch, holding a cushion.

His fair, slender neck, with the gland exposed, had no barrier patch.

A gentle caramel scent permeated the room as He Yushen stood behind him, brow slightly furrowed.

Such an omega, so careless about his own safety. If other alphas caught that scent outside, it could drive them wild.

Half-asleep, Nan Yi shifted, catching a blurry glimpse of He Yushen staring at him. Overwhelmed by drowsiness, he closed his eyes again.

A few seconds later, his eyes snapped open.

Seeing the omega's reaction to his presence, a hint of a smile tugged at the corner of He Yushen's mouth.

"Did you wait especially for my return?"

Without overthinking, Nan Yi nodded.

So he'd fallen asleep waiting specifically for him. He Yushen felt somewhat pleased; a well-behaved omega was indeed pleasant to the eyes, but his facial expression remained calm and indifferent.

He casually sat where Nan Yi had been sleeping, graciously remarking, "No need to try so hard to please. I'll keep you around, at least for now."

Nan Yi: ...................?

He was puzzled by He Yushen's sudden comment.

Ignoring his words, Nan Yi handed his phone to him.