Chapter 8 ~ Talk ~

Start from the beginning

You faltered your quiet observation of the outdoors when you heard the axe swing stop. He must've been done for the day. You saw out of the corner of your eye Tim walking over and setting the axe down near the front door and walking back, no doubt stacking the wood up and stoking the fire in the wood stove soon. This you were thankful for, as the room had begun to get colder as the hours went on.

The days of silence in the beginning were ones of confusion and hate. You couldn't stop thinking about the things Tim said to you, the threats he made towards you. When he had taken that knife that he'd forgotten in his pants pocket and had grabbed you, why didn't he hurt you then? All you could think of, after he had said what he could do to you and how he could kill you, rape you, torture and abuse you, all you could think about was but why didn't you? Why didn't he?

You heard the downstairs door open and close and the familiar stomp of boots as they kicked off his feet. You paused, debating if going down to try again would be a good idea after all. Was it really worth you time to become friends with this man if he behaved the way he did? Did you have any other choice? As you took a few steps towards the door, you faltered again. Swiftly, you turned towards the small drawers you'd scavenged and had begun to dig through the neatly folded shirts and clothes before pulling it out: the necklace. A small glint of light caught off of it as you looped the chain around your neck, clasping it with quick fingers and shutting the drawer as you stood. You thumbed the tree absently, as you left the room feeling the crevices of detail- the roots, the branches and leaves. You hadn't touched it since the day you got it. The chain was cold on you, light and delicate. You felt a phantom finger grace your collarbone as you steadily made your way down the stairs, felt those eyes of his when he first put it on you watch as you stopped into the living room.

He stood there in the corner of the room, turning his jacket every which way as he was caught up in his own world. When he noticed you, he halted, slowly putting his jacket down on the couch behind him. You had thought he'd of turned around and retreated just like he'd been doing this whole week. Retreating outside and locking the door, or going to do some other activity. But you'd always find him checking in on you often, making sure you were right where you were supposed to be: in his range.

This time though he didn't. You swallowed, silently clearing your throat. "Thanks for making the fire again." He nodded slightly, saying nothing for a moment. The two of you stood, the distance making the interaction more awkward with the silence. Could he tell that you were desperate for something even remotely close to interaction? Maybe he found it pathetic. As you tried to come up with something more to say, he motioned lazily towards your necklace. "It looks really good on you." he said. You looked down at it then back at him, stumbling over what words to say. "Thank... you." you settled with, thumbing the tree in your fingers like a worry stone. "I think it's a very pretty necklace- I just- well I thought I should wear it today. You know?" your words were coming out clumsily, not an ounce of substance to them. You opened your mouth dumbly, working for some other explanation as to why you wore it when he spoke for you.

"When I saw it, I immediately thought you should have it." He said, staring at the tree and then up at you. "It suits you." You nodded your head in response. So the necklace was doing the trick, it was working. "Thank you." you said quietly. At this he nodded, giving a slight hum in reply as he looked from the necklace to you. "Do you want dinner soon?" You glanced outside, seeing that what very little sun had been out that day was retreating fast over the crest of the forest. Ever day it was getting shorter, and every day was spent in more darkness. "I'd like that thank you." you said, surprised as he then hummed again and walked to the kitchen. He rummaged around a bit in the cupboards, pots clanging and shifting before he brought out a large simmering pot. You watched as he started pulling out utensils before he paused and cast a glance over to you before continuing his work. "Care to help?"