31. Unexpected Gift

Start from the beginning

When the high ended, this time for real, the Marauders went to have breakfast. Remus had to prepare mentally because today were the Potions and DADA exams. Granted, he was more than ready for DADA, but the stress from just thinking about Potions rose miniature panic in Remus.

"You nervous?", Peter leaned in on the stone wall next to Remus while they waited for Mr. Edwards to open the classroom for the exam.

Remus looked at James and Sirius at the other end of the corridor, laughing and joking like they didn't have a care in the world, "Is it that obvious?"

"Well... you are frantically tapping your foot on the floor.", the small boy gestured to his right leg. Indeed, he was tapping it without even noticing.

There was a tired sigh, "Guess the Potions are stressing me out. It's my worst subject.", he admitted.

In that moment Mr. Edwards finally opened the classroom door. Peter patted him on the back, "Don't worry. You got this."

It was nice of him to give Remus some reassurance. After all, the other Marauders didn't really care that much about grades. Even if Sirius and James seemed like they studied every day with the knowledge they showed, Remus knew that the two never opened the book if it wasn't for some prank.

With Peter it was similar, he valued painting way more and knew that he had a guaranteed job at Pettigrew's Portraits after Hogwarts. Although, he wasn't as talented as James and Sirius so his uninterest did show on paper.

The students settled in, James and Sirius right behind Remus and Peter. Soon after, the professor flicked his wand and a big stack of papers started floating towards them, separating so that one test was in front of each student.

There were two pages, Remus didn't even bother checking all of the questions, he just frantically started answering each one in order. He was hunched over the paper, every noise from the outside blocked.

Before he knew it, the exam was near the end. Good thing was, Remus only had to answer one more question. His gaze flew to number twenty-five, but as soon as he read it, he froze.

25. What are the consequences of a werewolf bite?

He looked like he just stared at the paper, but truly, inside Remus' brain scenarios from that awful night on the 16th of February 1965. were playing on repeat. There was just no stopping the images of blood flowing down his left arm, the fear, the bright red and green wand lights...

Remus was brought back from this trance as he felt someone pat him on the shoulder. When he looked up, there was Sirius on his way to exit the classroom, "You got this.", he whispered to him. That's when Remus realized that he only had five minutes left. All of the other Marauders were finished and currently exiting the classroom while giving him reassuring looks.

Okay. I can do this.

And he did. He tried to separate himself from this situation and just answer the question without any emotions. It was quite difficult because with every word that he wrote, another image would pop in his mind.

Thankfully, five minutes was just enough for him to finish writing. His forehead was sweaty and his hands did tremble a bit, but Remus did it. He completed all of his DADA exam.

As he handed in his test, it felt like he could breathe again. Like some weight has been lifted off his shoulders. Remus closed the classroom door and started thinking where the other Marauders will be, but he didn't have to wonder for too long.

Sirius was waiting for him, propped on one leg while the other rested against the stone wall. As soon as he saw Remus, big smile spread across his face, "How did it go?"