Chapter 8.5: Kyoka Jiro 1

Start from the beginning

Uraraka's red tinted face turns an even deeper shade of red. Jiro laughs at her embarrassment and pats her friend on the back. 

Jiro: It's okay. We're laughing with you, not at you. 

Mina: What she said! I think you're doing just fine, girlfriend. I say you should keep at it. 

Uraraka hides her face behind her hands.

Uraraka: Is it really that obvious?

Mina: Mhm-

Jiro: -Very obvious. 

Uraraka: Man, I don't wanna screw up our friendship. 

Mina: Just take your time. Midoriya is an oddball, but I think you've got what it takes. And hey, at least you're putting yourself out there, unlike Jiro here. 

Jiro: What? What are you talking about? 

Mina rolls her eyes and points a thumb at you. 

Mina: Like you don't know-

Jiro: -Seriously, I don't.

Uraraka shrugs then pats Jiro on the back in a reversal of what she just went through. 

Uraraka: Yes, you do. 

Jiro feels a bubble pop in her throat. It releases a wave of strange anxiety into her veins.  

Jiro: What are you talking about?

Mina winks at Uraraka.

Mina: Do I have to spell it out for you? Geez, you have a crush on (R/N). We've all seen it. 

Jiro nervously chuckles and scratches her neck. Blood rushes to her cheeks and her face gets hot. Maybe she isn't as in control of her reactions as she initially thought. 

Jiro: Him? No- I don't- damn it. Fine. I have a small crush on him. I think he's cute, that's all. I barely know him anyhow. 

Mina: Ha! I knew it!

You glance over at Mina as her excitement draws the attention of every classmate around. 

Jiro: Will you keep it down?! It doesn't mean anything- He's cool and all, but that's it. I'm serious.

Mina: So am I. If anyone has a chance with him, it's you. 

Jiro: A; No I don't. B; I don't want a chance. I'd rather keep things on the down-low, thank you very much. It'll pass. 

Uraraka: You don't think you have a chance?

Jiro: Why does it matter? Tsuyu is closest to him and Hagakure grew up with him. I'm just- Kyoka. I shouldn't be thinking like this anyhow. We have school to focus on. 

Mina cups her hands together next to her face and pouts in a joking posture.

Mina: You love him-

Jiro: Why I oughta!

Uraraka and Mina chuckle at Jiro's frustration. The trio of girls enjoy pushing each other's buttons. Jiro doesn't take anything they say to heart, but she's sure to dedicate their words to memory.

Jiro glances back over to you and Hagakure. A twinge of jealousy and anxiety pull at the cords of her brain. Jiro refuses to admit it, but Mina's right. She does have a few deep seeds of attraction towards you buried under the dirt of her heart. The battle assessment training was the first time she felt anything relating to a crush towards someone in a meaningful way. It's always been brief and meaningless physical attraction to any boy or girl she finds cute, but something about your personality and awkward charm caught her in an annoying net Jiro keeps trying to cut her way out of.