1

Things have been hard recently...

Merle and Daryl are back. Things are just weird. I never really like Merle. I love him, he's family. But I don't like him, I hate him really. He's never truly been there for me or Daryl. Daryl has tried his best for me but doesn't know what to do with me. I'm the youngest sibling, and I'm only half related. We only share a dead beat dad, I don't even know who my ma is but it's definitely some young girl my dad fooled around with when he was way too old. I'm only 17 and my brothers are full grown adults.

Carl has really been there for me though. He's like a little brother.

Me and Amy are on berry picking duty today, we're trying to distract ourselves from the fact some of our group of survivors aren't back yet.

"Can I go with you Charles?" Carl asked me. For some reason even my nickname sounds like a boys name, that's what I get for being born in a small town. "No Carl you have to stay where mom or Dale can see you, it's not safe in the woods."

Me and Amy laugh a bit and shake our heads at him wanting to help. We knew he wanted to be seen as tough, but he really was just a child and if a walker did come up he shouldn't have to see it.

"So do you think you and Glenn could be a thing?" I ask with a small laugh, and she shakes her head. "What about you and Glenn?" She asks me instead.

"He'd probably never be into me, I'm too young for him. But if he was I'd definitely go for that." We both laugh as we start picking berries, now that we're in the woods.

"He's really only a couple years older than you, you're 17 it could work out. I don't think I'm looking for anyone right now considering the state of the world."

"Given the state of the world zi figure I shouldn't go for him either, aside from the whole age thing." We talk for awhile to keep our minds busy while we pick berries. "My bucket is full, is yours?" I ask and Any nods in response.

"Lori we're done with the berries," I sigh and Amy asks a question. "How do we tell if they're poison?"

"There's only one sure way I know of..." She stares at them and Amy interrupts; "Ask Shane when he gets back?" "..Yeah yeah."

We nod and Lori gets up to go and get more berries now that its her turn. But I figure she'll probably come back with close to nothing just like every other time she and Shane come back together.

"Carl me and you need to continue your lesson. You know how I was teaching you languages?" I remind him and he rolls his eyes, not wanting to.

"We can invite Sophia too? That or we can hang out with Dale on the RV?" I said only giving him the option of learning. "I'll choose with Sophia..."

"Good, lets go." I put my arm on his shoulders as we start walking together.

I start discussing how to speak Spanish. I don't know everything but I know it's important for us to know at least the basics. It's more important than the math Lori is teaching him. If he gets lost or separated from us and finds someone who can't speak English he should be able to speak in some way to them.

"So why do you teach him another language anyways?" Carol asks as Sophia and her ealk over. "Just in case, if we meet people who can't speak English." I explain and she nods. "How do you say hello?" Sophia asks and I respond. "Hola, mi llamo Charlie. That means hello my name is Charlie."

Sophia giggles, excited for learning unlike Carl.

The rest of the day we kind of went through the motions. Apparently the others radioed us and told us how they were stuck in the mall, Lori wanted us to go help them but Shane was against it completely.

Soon we heard a loud car horn making its way up our camp's hill.

"What is that?! Is that them? Are they back?!" Me along with a bunch of our camp asks.

"Turn that damn thing off!" Dale says as we all notice only Glenn was back. After a moment of chaos and the horn finally stopping he explains the others are okay and are coming back.

I stand there waiting impatiently as we see a van pulling up, it was the others. It parked and people started piling out. I only faintly heard Glenn say something about Merle. "Gonna get us kicked out of this group." I mumbled and shook my head, waiting to see him. But my waiting didn't do any good.

"Glenn... where's Merle?" He froze and pointed to Tdog. "I'm sorry Charlie. He got... locked up on a roof. I dropped the key. He was becoming a danger to everyone." He tried his best to explain. I just nodded, "It's- its okay. But you best know Daryl ain't gonna be happy." I sigh and walk off, too lost in my thoughts to bother with Rick the new guy. I didn't even realize he was Carl's father until the bond fire and dinner that night.

"So how's you guys gonna tell my brother about Merle?" I ask after we all finished dinner. They started discussing and Tdog tried to say he'd do it. "No it would be better from Rick."

"Yeah I don't mean to bring race into this but it might sound better coming from a white guy." Glenn agreed. I was sitting in-between Amy and Glenn, in my head about what's to come. I thought we'd get kicked out of the group. At least he would but I'd have to go with him.

"I'm going to bed..." I mumble and both the young adults next to me nod.