something happens

The director's office exuded an air of faded authority, the aging wooden furniture carrying the weight of countless conversations with the orphanage's residents. Faint sunlight filtered through dusty curtains, casting a warm yet melancholic glow over the room. The shelves were lined with well-worn books, trophies from years past, and fading photographs of children who had long since left the orphanage. The director, a stoic figure with graying hair, sat behind a worn desk that bore the marks of years of service.

As Ali entered, the director looked up, his eyes reflecting both empathy and the weariness that came with the job. He gestured for Ali to take a seat.

Director: "Here, son, you are now a big man. You have to overcome these life difficulties yourself. You are our precious child; if no one adopts you, you have the right to live happily."

Ali, his gaze steady and resolute, took a seat. The atmosphere in the room seemed to shift as the weight of the conversation settled in.

Ali: "What about the others?"

Director: (with a forced smile) "What others..."

Ali: (coldly) "Do they suffer injustice like me?"

The director's expression tightened, sensing the gravity of Ali's inquiry.

Director: "Son..."

Ali: (cutting in) "I'm sorry, I'm not stupid! If someone else is left without parents, will you reduce the benefits given by the state even more? Well, I don't need that house or high-paying job of yours! Not at all necessary, because I can feed myself! But if a child comes out of this place without parents, will you also deprive him of state benefits? Do you just let the day go?"

The room, once filled with the subtle hum of daily operations, now hung in the balance of Ali's piercing questions. The director, grappling with a mix of guilt and responsibility, leaned back in his chair.

Director: (softly) "Ali, you know we do what we can with the resources we have. It's not that simple."

Ali: "It should be. These children deserve more."

Director: (defensively) "We're doing our best!"

Ali: (leaning forward) "Your best is not enough. These kids need more than your best; they need a chance."

The conversation between Ali and the director escalated, exposing the systemic flaws and bureaucratic hurdles that plagued the orphanage. Ali, fueled by a sense of justice, confronted the director not just for himself but for every child who had walked through those doors. The room bore witness to a clash of ideals, a clash that would reverberate through the narrative, challenging the status quo and demanding change for the children left behind in the shadows of society.

*********************************************************************************************

The flickering lights of the supermarket hummed with the low murmur of distant conversations. Ali moved mechanically through the aisles, the harsh fluorescent lighting casting shadows on the dull linoleum floor. The TV section, strategically placed near the checkout counters, echoed the news of the day.

TV Journalist: (solemnly) "Breaking news. In a tragic incident today, a 21-year-old girl fell victim to a senseless act of violence. The details are still emerging, but what we know is that the young woman was found lifeless in her apartment earlier this evening."

The screen flashed with images of a police cordon, flashing lights, and a somber reporter standing outside the crime scene.

TV Journalist: (continuing) "The police are actively investigating the circumstances surrounding this shocking event. The victim's identity has not been released pending notification of her family."

The supermarket's patrons, lost in their daily routines, stole glances at the news on the screen as Ali pushed his cart, indifferent to the unfolding tragedy. His loneliness, like a heavy cloak, enveloped him as he mechanically selected items from the shelves.

After collecting what he needed, Ali headed toward the checkout counter. The cashier, a tired middle-aged woman with a faint smile, scanned his items. The dull thud of each product being placed in a plastic bag punctuated the quiet atmosphere.

Cashier: (half-heartedly) "That'll be 32,000 som."

Ali mechanically pulled out his wallet, handing over the money. His eyes, glazed with a sense of detachment, scanned the headlines of gossip magazines stacked near the register.

The TV continued its broadcast, the distant voice of the journalist providing a dissonant backdrop to Ali's transaction.

TV Journalist: "As the city grapples with this tragic loss, authorities are urging anyone with information to come forward. The community is left in shock as they mourn the untimely death of a promising young life."

As Ali left the supermarket, the automatic sliding doors closing behind him, the monotony of his life echoed in the background. The world moved on, indifferent to his solitude and the tragedy broadcast on the small screen. The city continued its rhythms, and Ali, with his mundane purchases in tow, retreated into the quiet loneliness of his existence.

***************************************************************************************

In the dimly lit underworld of the city, where shadows danced with the flickering lights of neon signs, a labyrinth of narrow alleys and hidden meeting spots concealed the intricate dealings of criminal factions. Small groups of criminals huddled in secretive corners, exchanging hushed conversations and guarded glances.

Criminal A: (whispering) "Did you hear about what happened to Lee Kang In? Queen Crow wasn't pleased."

Criminal B: (nodding) "Yeah, things are getting messy. The streets are talking. Nobody saw it coming."

In a smoke-filled room, the air thick with tension, representatives of different criminal groups gathered for a clandestine meeting. The air crackled with uncertainty as alliances were formed and broken in the blink of an eye.

Crime Boss X: (leaning forward) "We need to secure our territories. The Queen's operation has left a power vacuum, and we can't afford to be caught off guard."

Crime Boss Y: (smirking) "The Queen may be powerful, but she's not invincible. It's time we seize the opportunity and expand our influence."

The discussions delved into the intricate web of criminal activities, ranging from illegal trade to power struggles that threatened to tip the delicate balance of the underworld.

Criminal C: (whispering to a companion) "They say there's a new player in the game. A mysterious figure making moves in the shadows. No one knows who they are, but they're gaining power fast."

As the night wore on, alliances were forged, betrayals executed, and the complex web of criminal intrigue continued to unfold. The city's underbelly, always in flux, held secrets and dangers that demanded a delicate dance of survival.

Crime Boss Z: (leaning back) "We can't afford mistakes. The streets are watching, and every move counts. The balance of power is at stake."

The gathering concluded with a sense of uneasy camaraderie, each criminal group returning to their respective territories, plotting, scheming, and navigating the dangerous waters of their underworld existence.

Criminal D: (whispering to a confidant) "Watch your back. The Queen may be down, but there's always someone hungry for the throne."