forty eight | the truth

Start from the beginning

"Andrea." Nervously chuckling, I step closer to her and take the glass, placing back on the counter and moving her towards a corner. "Are you, like, drunk already? The food isn't even out yet, the main service hasn't even happened."

"I'm not drunk, Gert. I'm just living a little."

"You're just..." I wave my hand around her face.

My best friend laughs — loudly, might I add — and I spare glances around at a few people who glance back at us. Despite me holding a smile, my heart is pounding at the sudden attention being drawn towards us.

"Drea..."

Her green eyes blink at me, then quickly shift to the side. Her complete attention is pulled from me and to something else. My gaze follows her and what do I know, there approaches the last person I want to even interact with.

I haven't seen her in a while, I didn't think I'd be seeing her sometime today.

Her hair sits in luxurious curls, her hazel eyes steal the attention simply by the dark long lashes that frame her pupils, and the deep shade of red lipstick sitting on her lips emphasises her beauty. I can't even ignore how the black dress hugging every curve of her body creates a level of insecurity within me, something I don't think has actually happened before.

Not with her, at least.

Two long glasses are in her hand, and she extends one towards me when she steps besides Andrea and I.

"A peace offering, for the sake of a peaceful night." Natasha smiles at me.

I'm hesitant, that much I think the three of us can see, but I take it nonetheless. I don't sip on it or anything, since my eyes are solely on her, my attention is absorbed by her presence.

She hands over the other glass towards Andrea, who's not afraid to take it. She then leaves us and we both watch her. We watch her head back to the servers, take another glass and come right back to us.

Dang, even her walk screams confidence. It makes me want to hide in a cocoon or something.

"I haven't seen you in a while, Natasha." Andrea speaks up to the babe. "I'm quite surprised you're even here."

Natasha, right after taking an elegant sip of her drink, laughs and waves her hand. Her manicured hand. "Don't be silly. I took a break from everything here. I needed time to gather myself, figure out my priorities and realise that I'm just a normal girl, with a normal life. Well, depends on what you consider is... normal." Her eyes shift to me when she says that last word.

I hate how my stomach clenches at it.

"I'm so happy to see you, Gertrude. I thought maybe you wouldn't come today."

I shrug. "W-well... I mean, I was invited. Plus, I'll be crowed Luna, so I guess my presence is important."

Yes, I mention it because I want her to feel bummed by it. I want to have the upper hand, to feel validated and confident in her presence.

She laugh, flipping her hair over her shoulder and nods. "Yes. Future Luna being crowned today. How lovely is that? I feel honoured to get to see that."

"I mean, really?" Andrea chirps in. "I'm just asking, since... you know, you've claimed that Micah is your mate."

"And I still believe so." There she goes smiling again, oozing confidence. "But, he has every right to choose who he wants to he mates with, so who am I to stop him, you know?" The babe now looks at me, bats her lashes my way before she grins. "The better woman wins, right?"