I nodded and continued with cleaning and polishing the sharp edge while the general closely monitored standing right behind me.

How is this both intimidating and assuring at the same time?

Once the sharp edge is done, I flipped the knife to polish the handle which means I'll have to firmly place my hand on the sharp edge for stability.

How the hell am I supossed to do that? I mean the general did it without the gloves but he knows the technique....I don't....and am I really supossed to trust these stupid gloves....which btw are generously provided by the stupidest man alive.

I hesitated and stopped my hand a couple of inches above the sword. The general waited for 3 whole minutes before he lost his patience and tried to move my hand towards the sharp edge.

"No," I immediately oppossed.

"It won't hurt," the general said frustrated but I still remained reluctant.

Instead of forcing me, which I totally assumed he would, he controlled himself and in the most gentle tone asked me to look at him.

I looked at him and realized we were actually standing closer than I expected.

"Be brave," he encouraged, "The biggest fears are often just illusions of the mind."

I looked at him in silence.

Am I falling in love again?

"It's safe, I promise," he assured and gently tried to open up my hand which I've been holding in a fist. I let him do that solely because I was so lost in the moment that nothing else mattered.

"See," he said and I looked down to notice that my hand was firmly placed on the sharp edge, without even the proper technique but the gloves did their job of protecting me. 

I smiled, proud of myself for overcoming the fear.

"First step is clean," the general calmly reminded.

Why did he turn good all of a sudden?

Even surprisingly, the calmness continued, even when I made a few mistakes in the other two steps.

"Understood?" he asked to confirm and I nodded.

"Now do it for the rest of the swords," he said and turned to leave.

"Where are you going?" I asked surprised.

"I have better things to do, Gati," he plainly stated.

"But....you can't leave me here.....in an unfamiliar place," I opossed.

"Every place is a familiar palce if you stay long enough," he said and immediately left without any further explanation.

Tears rolled down by eyes....at the absolute lack of compassion....There are atleast a few hundred swords here....this is going to take me all night....and he just left....I admit....I am no saint....I made him rearrange the library....but I was there with him....for as long as he was there....and that was the library....a place everyone in the palace is familiar with.....this is the soldier's compound.....every other room in this compound is filled with men.....good men, I am sure....but still men....and to just leave me here all alone....it's cruel...

*** Adinath ***

The moment I stepped into the common chambers, I saw Vaishnavi walking out with a sword in her hand.

"Whom are we murdering tonight?" I joked standing at the door to block her way.

"My incompetence, Patidev," she said innocently, "I need to practice so that my Gurudev does not punish me with extra hours of training."