Chapter 19: Father and Son at Loggerheads

Zacznij od początku

With a composed expression, He Zhan calmly said, "If you miss your mother, you can visit. But don't delude yourself into hiding him."

Ling Ran protested, "Release me!"

He Zhan, still cradling the struggling Ling Ran, made his way towards the exit.

The man in his arms looked increasingly pale from fear, with his pushing hands trembling slightly.

He Yu Shen shouted, "He Zhan!"

Surrounded by a dozen alphas, He Yu Shen's overpowering alpha pheromones exploded, reminiscent of a sudden high tide.

Everyone in the room was overwhelmed, their instincts screaming for survival, akin to someone about to drown.

Nan Yi gripped the corner of the sofa tightly, the alphas beside him shifted uneasily, their expressions changing, yet they remained steadfast.

Some bent over from the intensity, while Nan Yi, suppressing his discomfort, looked up slightly.

The retreating silhouette in the distance became more blurred. Flustered figures trailed behind him.

As the figures faded, Nan Yi began to breathe deeply, as if coming up for air.

Breathing through his mouth caused a distinct sting in his throat. Swallowing hard brought no relief.

Nan Yi's eyes fixated on the water glass on the table.

It was He Yu Shen's glass, but he was beyond caring about such details.

Song Jing exclaimed, "What gives you the right to use Brother Shen's glass?"

A weakened Song Jing tried to chastise Nan Yi's reaching hand.

Nan Yi chose to ignore him. If he didn't soothe his throat soon, the pain would become unbearable.

After finishing the glass of water, He Yu Shen, who had earlier rushed out, returned.

Alone now, he approached with a stern expression, and even Song Jing dared not utter a word at this moment.

He Yu Shen grabbed the keys from the table, heading for the door again, but was intercepted by the butler.

"Dad? Move aside, now!"

Song Jing was visibly anxious. After all, nobody wanted to provoke an alpha, especially in their current state.

Particularly when that alpha was merely a young butler.

He Yu Shen cast a cold glance at the butler, "Move! We'll settle the matter of your secret messages when I return!"

The butler pleaded, "Young master, you mustn't chase after them. The affairs between the lady and the lord will be resolved by themselves."

"Regarding the past incident..."

He Yu Shen interrupted, "I said MOVE!"

He knocked the chair under the table to the ground, creating a loud 'bang' that echoed through the spacious, silent room.

The abrupt noise made Nan Yi shudder.

The butler remained resolute, blocking He Yu Shen's way.

"Very well," said He Yu Shen coldly, "From today on, you're dismissed."

Song Jing's face showed anxiety: "Father!"

He Yu Shen clenched his teeth, glaring icily at the man in front of him.

The butler had been handpicked by He Zhan to care for Ling Ran initially. After Ling Ran's departure, he naturally began to look after He Yu Shen.

It could be said that He Yu Shen's bond with the butler was even stronger than the one he shared with his own father, He Zhan.

He never treated the butler as a mere servant, always showing deep respect. Yet today, even this respected elder seemed to betray him.

He Yu Shen began to question if anything was truly genuine anymore.

The butler stood before He Yu Shen with a respectful demeanor, making no pleas.

Nan Yi felt a pang of anxiety on his behalf.

Nevertheless, the butler spoke deferentially, "I will leave tomorrow and return to the old house to care for the lady's needs."

"Leave now!" He Yu Shen ordered.

Another chair nearby bore the brunt of his fury, being kicked so hard that it flew across the room, colliding with the edge of a table and causing a beautifully crafted tea set to wobble and fall.

Amidst the loud clattering, there was the faint sound of a notification.

Nan Yi looked curiously towards the spot where He Yu Shen had been seated.

It was the glow of a phone screen, signaling an incoming message, with Nan Yi being the closest to it.

"Phone," He Yu Shen commanded with a furrowed brow, extending his hand.

Panicking slightly, Nan Yi quickly picked up the black phone, handing it over to He Yu Shen.

After reading the message, He Yu Shen, with a still stormy expression, ascended the staircase. As he passed the fallen chair, he gave it a discontented kick.

Nan Yi managed to catch a glimpse of the topmost message.

It was from a contact labeled "Father," reassuring He Yu Shen of his well-being and advising him to remain calm.

With He Yu Shen's departure upstairs, only Song Jing, the butler, and Nan Yi were left in the living room.

Still a bit dazed, Nan Yi stood motionless for a while, lost in thought.

Song Jing: "Dad, why would you provoke Shen-ge at a time like this?"

The tone of reproach in Song Jing's voice snapped Nan Yi back to reality.

Nan Yi hesitated about whether to go upstairs.

He Yushen was still angry. Nan Yi wondered if going upstairs would make He Yushen take out his frustration on him.

Caught in a moment of indecision, it seemed wrong for Nan Yi to go upstairs, but he also had nowhere else to go.

He couldn't possibly go out and check into a hotel for the night.

Nan Yi glanced at the luxurious couch, contemplating spending the night there.