Chapter 17: The Note within the Flowers

Start from the beginning

Unable to speak, Nan Yi frantically tried to retrieve the broken phone from the ground.

"Mr. Nan!" The butler reached out to halt his descending action.

"Let him pick it up!"

The malicious pheromones rapidly permeated the living room, changing the expressions of both the butler and Song Jing.

Nan Yi, who was already crouched on the floor, found himself unable to even muster the strength to rise.

"Who is Dr. Bai? Do you admire him?"

Nan Yi's jaw was clenched tightly by He Yushen, and the remnants of his phone were kicked beneath a chair.

Excruciating pain radiated from his jaw, while the dominant peppermint pheromones clouded his senses. All Nan Yi could do was continuously shake his head.

"What's going on?"

A puzzled voice emanated from the staircase, and the pheromones in the room started dissipating.

The hand that had been pinning his chin released its grip. Pain surged through Nan Yi's wrist, and sweat formed on his pallid forehead.

Nan Yi was forced to rise from the floor.

"Shen Shen?"

The omega who had sat with He Yushen in the morning looked concernedly at the two of them, as the oppressive pheromones in the room began to dissipate.

Ling Ran descended the staircase, casting a puzzled gaze over the group.

"Were you two arguing? Your pheromones are too overpowering; they could harm him."

Nan Yi's face was unnaturally pale, his hand still gripped by a stern-faced He Yushen.

Ling Ran looked worriedly at the fragile-seeming little omega.

"Madam!"

The butler's face had returned to its usual color. Ever since Ling Ran began descending the stairs, his gaze had been fixed on her. Upon getting a closer look, he spoke with disbelief.

"Butler Song, it's been a while."

Ling Ran responded with a gentle smile.

The butler seemed a bit agitated, stumbling over his words: "You... you're back."

"We'll head upstairs now."

He Yushen's tone had significantly mellowed. Nan Yi thought perhaps he didn't want to lose his temper in front of this gentle omega.

"Shen Shen..."

Nan Yi was roughly led upstairs by He Yushen. Before the voice behind them could finish, their silhouettes had already disappeared around the stairway bend.

Just after leaving the bedroom, Nan Yi found himself back in it.

The lights were off, the curtains not fully drawn. The faint glow that had existed when they went downstairs was now replaced by complete darkness.

Nan Yi was thrown onto the floor by He Yushen. The room was eerily silent.

The bedroom once again filled with the alpha's pheromones. Nan Yi curled up on the floor, not daring to move.

He wrapped his arms around his knees, resembling a desolate kitten, timidly hugging himself.

It felt like his back was pressed against the wall, which was chillingly cold.

After a moment, the light turned on, and a deep, intimidating voice echoed once more.

"Come here!"

He Yu Shen's deep and shadowy gaze fixed on the person cowering in the corner, who looked terrified to the point of trembling.

Wasn't it him who provoked me first? He schemed to get marked by me and now he's causing trouble with others.

Such an inferior omega, yet he dares to think he can play me like a fiddle.

Even deceiving himself.

Nan Yi slightly tilted his head up; when he locked eyes with the shadowed gaze of the person sitting in the chair, his pupils contracted in anxiety.

He slowly rose to his feet and approached He Yu Shen.

His steps felt heavy, as if lead had been poured into his shoes, making his movement strenuous.

Nan Yi paused, still shaking his head.

Without his phone, this was the only way he could convey that he held no affection for Doctor Bai.

"I'll give you one chance to explain."

He Yu Shen coldly eyed the tense omega, whose grip on his own hand was tight, and spoke with chilling clarity.

Nan Yi hesitated for a moment, frantically using sign language.

"Type it out."

A black phone was passed to him, and the alpha before him maintained a stern expression.

Nan Yi, slightly hesitant, took the phone and began typing silently in front of He Yu Shen.

He looked like a student being reprimanded by a teacher, head bowed.

Nan Yi recounted the incident at the hotel where Bai Shan Yao came to his rescue from a harasser, and the fact that he was just passing by today and wanted to buy flowers as a thank you. He told everything truthfully.

However, he omitted the detail about their first meeting with Bai Shan Yao.

After He Yu Shen finished reading, his face remained grim.

Nan Yi anxiously clutched the hem of his clothes.

"Hmph, you wouldn't dare lie to me," He Yu Shen's face stayed stern, but his tone softened slightly.

"When bullied, can't you mention you're mine?"

He Yu Shen spoke with irritation, but upon noticing the reddened wrist of the man in front of him, he felt a pang of remorse.

Nan Yi bowed his head, typing rapidly, and then passed the phone back to He Yu Shen.

[I couldn't speak because I didn't see you.]

The alpha's mouth twitched rigidly, as if sighted, he huffed lightly and remained silent.