#1

The view from this pavilion was absolutely terrific.

The grass was neatly trimmed, willows and sakura trees planted at just the right intervals to create this brilliant visual treat. And the cool breeze only served to add on a touch of leisurely enjoyment.

Apparently you could never have too much of this perfect combination between artificial and natural beauty, Kondou Isami thought as he smacked his lips over the equally splendid tea. "Simply the best!" He grinned, speaking aloud to himself.

"Now, Kondou-san," somebody jeered good-naturedly from the side, "don't get lost where you shouldn't be."

"We're supposed to be on vacation, Souji-kun." Kondou chuckled heartily. "You should come over and enjoy the view as well."

"No thanks," Souji stepped out from behind a pillar. "I don't have an ounce of artsy blood in me anyway."

Kondou laughed. "All the more reason to keep you here."

Souji shrugged. "If you insist." He took a seat on the marble bench.

Kondou regarded him, amusement dancing in his eyes.

"Since when did you bicker less?"

"That'd only be for you," Souji didn't even miss a beat.

Kondou burst into merry laughter. "Is that so? I'm honored!"

Souji only gave him a smile in reply. 

The Shinsengumi, as Kondou stated, were permitted a break of a few weeks. Tension in the center of Kyōto had finally eased, and the Shinsengumi were made sure to make the most out of this period. During this time, they were allowed to roam within a 65-mile radius from Kyōto without the pressure of duties. 

And so here they were, enjoying the beautiful evening scenery over tea, in a pavilion on the top of a gentle slope. Hijikata Toshizou had left to accompany the rest of the group leaders, who were frolicking by the sea.

Peace was hard to earn, but well worth the effort.

Kondou Isami took another gulp of the tea he was having. How long had it been, he wondered, since the last time he truly slowed down to savor such little moments?

He couldn't even recall such a time; the answer came to him as the tea slipped down his throat.

A wistful smile growing subconsciously, he cast his gaze farther, until his eyes met the gentle ocean waves foaming against the stones on the shore, as if whispering in a language that was only known by nature. Right at the junction between water and sand were the other Shinsengumi leaders, jumping and running all around, or just simply gazing out into the distance.

Just by looking, he could tell they were enjoying this as much as he was.

And the smile grew to a warm, gratified curve that graced his features.

"Thinking of a certain someone that I should know about, Kondou-san?" Souji piped up, and immediately Kondou's expression soured into a playful scowl.

"You aren't artsy, but you sure are a master of the art of killing the mood," Kondou rolled his eyes.

Souji simply laughed.

Just then, clamor broke out among the Shinsengumi leaders that were by the sea, drawing both Kondou and Souji to focus on whatever was happening down there. 

"Doesn't look like the baka trio to me," Souji was the first to come to any conclusions. Kondou only gave an approving hum in reply.

They were gathering around something that had just washed up on the shore, it seemed. But wait...