Chapter 2 - Beige

Warnings: 18+, lots of smut, angst!! (Smangst?)

You glanced over to the computer clock. Quitting time. You stretched and yawned as you closed your laptop for the day.

You did a quick scan of the office but Nick was nowhere to be seen. Probably rubbing shoulders with some bigwig somewhere. You packed your belongings and strolled out, waving goodbye to the few remaining colleagues and Grant the security guard on the front desk.

"See you tomorrow" said Agent Palmer with a smile as you passed him in the parking lot. You smiled back and wished him a good evening. You liked Palmer, he was one of the few agents who seemed grateful for your work and always took the time to chat. He was confident, but cheerier and less stoic than Nick. He had kind green eyes. Sorta cute, really...

*

You drove home and got back to your apartment, throwing together something resembling a dinner as you got into your sweats and poured yourself a glass of wine. You checked your phone, nothing from Nick. You rolled your eyes, you'd texted him earlier and he hadn't replied. You were annoyed at his radio silence, but also at yourself for caring so much. When would you learn?

You spent some time texting your best friend, Annie, who would no doubt be scolding you for moping about Nick if she knew. Annie didn't suffer fools gladly and had a finely tuned bullshit detector - so impressive that the CIA should snap her up. She knew all about your dalliance with Nick, and of course as your good friend - very plainly explained to you that you could (and should) do better.

She didn't need to know you were annoyed about his lack of contact. You weren't in the mood for a lecture.

You plopped down in front of the TV and watched a few episodes of some show before you felt your eyes getting heavy. You leaned back into the couch as you closed your eyes and-

KNOCKKNOCKKNOCK

A loud banging at the front door tore you from sleep. You frowned, checking the time before your stomach dropped. It was late. Who was that? A neighbour? Mass murderer? You did have a gun in your safe but-

KNOCKKNOCKKNOCK

"Open up princess, it's me".

You scoffed. Of course.

"It's late Nick..." you called through the door.

"I know...so don't leave me out here by myself. Anything could happen to me".

You could practically see the devious smile he'd be wearing.

You rolled your eyes as you worked the latch and opened the door. He stood there grinning, leaning casually against the door frame. He'd shed his suit jacket and you could see his normally crisp white shirt was slightly dishevelled from a long day. He still looked good...annoyingly.