Dance

In a match, every second counts. And as a decoder, Frederick's first role is to find a cipher machine as soon as possible. This time, however, he awoke a bit far from the nearest machine.

Quickly, he ran towards it, but as he grew closer, he heard the sounds of the machine being worked on.

"Oh?"

The composer holds back an irritated sigh.

"I didn't think we'd run into each other so soon, Mister Kreiburg," the novelist smiles, mirth hidden behind his tongue.

The composer frowns—the cipher machine was already occupied by Orpheus.

"Yes," he replies smoothly, "I don't suppose you could let me take over the cipher?"

Orpheus only smiles (Frederick wishes he'd brought his cane; maybe Orpheus wouldn't have taken him so lightly) , "I don't think I can, Mister Kreiburg. Anyway, I found the cipher first, so it's only right."

"We both know I can decode faster. Why don't you go find another?"

"Why don't you? I'm sure if you go now, we'll be able to finish at around the same time."

The albino's frown deepens, "Fine."

The same provoking grin plastered on his face, the novelist bade him farewell. "Do stay safe, Mister Kreiburg. I believe no one has encountered the hunter yet."

"The same goes to you, Mister Orpheus." He made a lofty sound from the back of his throat, "It'd be difficult for someone to run across the map because you made another blunder."

The composer turned and left before the novelist could slip another witty retort.
——

The Lakeside Village was big, and it was always hard to find cipher machines, which is why Frederick hated the larger maps. Soon enough, his eyes caught sight of the yellow flash that outlined a machines's rod.

He quickened his pace to a jog, and soon he could see the silhouette of the machine. The wooden box, the cipher, the rod, and a tall silhouette.

"Too tall to be a survivor, but tall enough to be a hunter", he thinks, hiding behind a tree. He squints, trying to see the hunter more clearly.

Long hair was all he could really note. Long, floor-length hair that he knew only the Geisha had (Unless it was the violinist, but his hair was more messy—this hunter's hair was straight).

Frederick hid there, waiting for the Geisha to leave. Orpheus had already taken the first cipher he'd seen. He was not about to give the second one up. He hid until his legs cramped, but the Geisha did not move at all.

Curious, he left his spot behind the tree and wandered closer, slow and careful. He wandered until he was well within arms reach, yet the hunter still didn't move.

"Hello?" He whispers.

At the sound of his voice, the Geisha raised her arm, and the composer's heart beat wildly.

He was stupid for coming this close! He turns quickly and raises his tuning fork, ready to flee before he was hit by her fan, but from behind him, the Geisha hummed a melody.

Why wasn't she attacking?

He turns his head, and observes the hunter, confused. She raises her arms and weaves them with grace, her right hand holding her fan—was she dancing?

Slow and unsure, he steps closer to watch. As an artist himself, he knew how disrespectful it would be to ignore her performance. And who was he to disrespect a fellow performer?

By the end, the taller woman stares at him and the silence is stiff and awkward, so he forces a polite smile and claps.

He clears his throat, "Your dance was wonderful—"

Suddenly, the Geisha hits him harshly with her fan (how was it so hard?) and the throbbing pain triggers him to run. He uses his tuning fork, striking it at regular intervals, the sound allowing him to focus and run faster.

"Curse Orpheus, curse this map, and curse this hunter!" He yells angrily.