chapter 8

Jidderh p.o.v

I didn't know what came over Auntie Maryam. I knew she had been hiding her true colors.

I cried, remembering the way she woke me up. My mind flashed back to my mother; this is not how mom used to wake me up.
I stood up and started doing the work. I swept the entire house, scrubbed the kitchen and toilet. I cleaned the whole house as I was instructed.

I Cooked, when I was done, it was as if I was going to faint. I am not used to walking so much. I fetched some food and ate it, and then I thought of lying down on the sofa for a bit. Sleep quickly overcame me...

It was like a thunderbolt striking my face. Before I could even get up from the sofa, I received another one that sent me rolling on the floor like a baby...

"Who gave you the right to sleep here? Is this your room?" Aunty Maryam thundered, giving me a dead glare.

I was still in tears, holding my cheek because the slap had affected me.

"Aunty, Wallahi, I didn't know when I fell asleep," I managed to utter.

Before I could finish my statement, she started punching me on the floor. She covered me up and continued punching and slapping me....

I was screaming and crying at the same time. I thought I was going to die.

"Mum, mum, what is going on here?" I heard Fatima's voice question.

Then, I saw Fatima in her school uniform, holding her school bag ....

"Ya Allah, thank you for sending me a savior," I prayed in my mind, still sitting on the floor and sobbing.

"Subhannallah,,,,,,Mum see the way your punching on her?" she said running to my side..

"Do you even have the guts to question me, Fatima? Because of this filthy orphan?" Aunt Maryam said, pointing at me.

"But mum, what you're doing is unfair how could you, beat her like this?" Fatima asked, placing her bag on the sofa.

"I can see that Jidderh is now pampering you. You even have the audacity to tell me what to do. I am your mother, Fatima. Mind your tongue," Aunt Maryam said through gritted teeth.

"Am just telling you the truth, Mum. You know, even Dad, sometimes I used to tell him the truth," Fatima said, walking to my side.

"I am not your Dad and I can't tolerate such nonsense from you, Fatima," Aunt Maryam said, fixing her gaze on me.

Fatima held my hand and dragged me as we started walking.

Aunt Maryam stopped us. "Where do you think you're going?" she asked.

"To our room, Mum," Fatima uttered.

I just stood there like a fool, fixing my gaze on the floor.

"So now you're corrupting my daughter's mind? She is even disrespecting me?" Aunt Maryam asked, facing me.

"Mum, she is not. I am just doing the right thing," before Fatima could finish her sentence, she landed a slap on her cheek.

I was surprised "Aunt maryam is so wicked to the extent, she even slapped Fatima, "i said in my mind

"Mum," she managed to utter as tears started rolling down her cheek

"If you ever disrespect me again because of this stupid girl, I will give you more than this. Why can't you, for once, be like Faiha, Fatima?" she questioned,

pointing a finger at me.
"And you stay away from my daughter. You're nothing but an filthy orphan," she said, giving me a dead glare.

More tears rolled down my cheeks. I was scared and shocked at the same time.