Chap 1: Hidden Hearts

Ada finished strapping the magic rocket to the fire engine. With haste, she tucked her present in her pocket. She had been waiting outside the manor for ages, and her blouse was uncomfortably tight.

Soon, the butler strode out. "I'm afraid Miss Jasmine still hasn't returned." He looked at Ada with pity. "You can come in to rest if you like."

But Ada shook her head in defiance. "Thank you, Felix, but no thank you." And she stalked away.

She trudged through the woods and back to the main road. If only she could drive a carriage herself! But at least she could afford to hire one. When the next vehicle rolled by, she waved her arm insistently until the fellow stopped. He blinked in confusion, and glanced about her, as if wondering why she wasn't chaperoned.

Ada bit back a sarcastic remark and said, "Take me to the Diamond Cottage. I'll pay you double if you can get me there before sundown." She climbed into the carriage before the fellow could ask her any questions.

The driver opened and closed his mouth several times, then finally said, "The Diamond Cottage? Are you sure, ma'am?"

Ada tugged down her sleeves; it was a garment she had grown out of long ago. She quipped, "What? You think I'm a peasant and too unworthy to mingle with the lords and ladies?"

The man looked flustered. He stammered, "Of - of course not, ma'am." He turned back to his horse, and began to drive.

When they got to the Diamond Cottage, the sun was about to set; the purple, red, and orange rays splashed across the sky. Ada paid the driver double, as she promised. He bowed and thanked her profusely, before he rushed off to his next customer.

Ada adjusted her garments. She wasn't rich but she wasn't poor, either. Nevertheless, when it came to dressing up for parties, even a surprise one, she didn't have anything fancy enough for the occasion. Her simple violet ball gown would have to do.

When she reached the door to the Diamond Cottage, the butler on guard wasn't as hospitable as Jasmine's butler Felix. "Where's your invitation?" he snarled.

She patted her smooth black hair in a nonchalant fashion. Ada tipped her nose up, like she had seen many highborn ladies do. "Here." She retrieved a letter written by Jasmine's older brother, Emmett. Ada had wheedled him until he gave in and wrote her a letter, since he had the connections to do so.

Moreover, she was sure that he would be kind enough to lend his sister's friend a hand.

The butler tore her letter out of the envelope, and brought it close to his nose for reading. After a long while, he seethed and said, "Fine. You had Master Emmett's help this time, but I know your sort. Social climbers. You don't know your place."

In a snide voice, Ada said, "Know my place? Then do you know yours?"

That was a low blow, but the bastard deserved it. The butler was rendered speechless, at least for a second. He waved her in. "Get inside before I lose my patience."

She shot him a wide, victorious smile and sauntered in.

In the ballroom, there was so much fuss and pomp, with overdone decorations, pastries, and various drinks. Ada stared around at the company she was in. So many aristocrats prettied up for the occasion. More than a few women looked at her with contempt. Not that Ada cared. There was only one woman whose approval she craved.

Jasmine had no idea about this party that several people, including Ada, had concocted for her. Jasmine often ignored her birthday when it came along, and this time, she had disappeared on another trip without telling any friends or family.