homecoming

one.

You danced around your kitchen as you made dinner, your hips swinging to the music pouring from your speakers as you stirred the pasta on the stove. You loved cooking and you often found yourself getting lost singing to your favorite songs as you worked in the kitchen.

"And all the girls think that they'd be your partner," you sang into your wooden spoon, your hips moving as you belted the words. "They'd be your partner! You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you!"

A deep chuckle sounded behind you, making you drop your spoon as you spun around. Leaning against your entryway was your best friend Matthew Tkachuk, his sly grin plastered on his face as he smirked at you, "Don't let me interrupt, you know I love Carly Simon."

"Jesus you can't scare me like that," you gasped as you put your hand to your chest, only causing Matthew to laugh harder. "How did you even get in here? When did you get back?"

"You gave me a spare key months ago," you watched as Matthew grabbed a paper towel and crouched down to grab your dropped spoon, wiping up the mess of sauce it left behind. "Got in an hour ago, wanted to see my favorite girl."

You could feel the blush creeping up your cheeks as Matthew smirked at you. You'd been friends for a few years now and he never failed to pull that reaction out of you.

"I was just making dinner if you want to stay," you offered, gesturing over your shoulder to the pasta and sauce you had going. "It's pesto, your favorite."

"Good thing I brought your favorite wine," Matthew walked back to the entryway before reappearing with your favorite red wine and a bouquet of multicolored tulips. "And your favorite flowers."

"Matty...," your eyes widened in shock as you looked at your best friend who simply grinned at you. "What in the world are you doing?" 

"Just trying to show my favorite girl how much I appreciate her," Matthew smiled as he stepped closer to you, setting the wine and flowers on the counter before skating his arms around your waist. "I've been thinking about you all week. Couldn't get you off my mind."

Your heart was racing as you met Matthew's eyes, his grip on your waist pulling you closer to him, "And what were you thinking about?"

"How you're my best friend and how much I need you in my life," Matthew's voice dropped down to just above a whisper as he leaned his forehead against yours. "How much I want to kiss you, to stop calling you my best friend and start calling you my girlfriend. How much I love you...."

As soon as the word leaves Matthew's lips you're closing the short distance between the two of you, your lips pressed together as your fingers tangled in the curls at the nape of his neck. 

"Only took you five years," you grinned up at Matthew who in turn rolled his eyes before he leaned down to kiss you again. "And for the record... I love you too."

two.

You'd had quite possibly the longest day at work ever. Between your boss being an absolute dick and your clients being snarky and rude you were ready to curl up in bed with a bottle of wine and a trashy rom com. And that didn't even get into the traffic that had you coming home at an ungodly hour.

It didn't help anything that Matthew was on the road right now and wasn't due back until tomorrow. Your hands shook as you unlocked your apartment, the urge to call your best friend turned boyfriend so strong that you were shakily grabbing for your phone as you made your way inside.

Once you closed the door you leaned your head against the cool wood, heart hammering in your chest as you tried to hold back tears.

The attempt failed.