The Council

"Alright, do we have anything ? Jessica's husband has been on me for the past three days asking about this case." Voight walked up the steps to the bullpen, his voice reaching across it like it usually did.

Olivia clicked on a file on her computer, shaking her head, "I got nothing sarge, she was clean as a whistle. All of her cases were done by the book." She read over the file, looking over at Kevin who nodded.

"Her and her husband, so we can rule out it being a karma kill. Husbands got a clean sheet." He sighed, leaning back in his chair, Voight turning to the other detectives. Both of which came up empty too.

Hailey crossed her hands on her desk, "I don't know, maybe this was just an opportunity kill? I mean there doesn't seem to be any connections to anything," Voight shook his head, it didn't make sense. What did the writing on the wall mean if there was no specific reason for Jessica to be the target?

"I agree with Hailey, I cross referenced 'the reckoning' and messages in blood in the database and there's nothing. At all." Kim spoke up, leaning her elbows onto the table. "Maybe it was just chance." There was a beat of silence, the sergeant taking a minute to collect his thoughts.

Finally he nodded, "Alright, even then. A lady is still dead. We still need answers. Kev, Liv, go do another round of knock and talks. Somebody had to have seen something. Kim, Adam, go see if forensics got anything from the scene. Jay, Hailey, dig into everyone the Russell's have been in contact with. If there is a reason, I want to know what it is." He turned and went into his office, leaving them all to look at one another.

Kevin was the first to stand, grabbing his coat off the back of his chair, Olivia doing the same as she walked with him downstairs. "You think Upton's right? It's just a chance murder?" He questioned as they stepped outside, walking towards Olivia's car.

She let out a long sigh, stopping to look at the man over the roof. "Honestly, I don't know. The message just seems too personal. Yeah you can shoot someone, but to dig into their body? Smear their blood on the wall? If there isn't a connection to the person, then it's something about the ritual of doing it."

Once in the car, she drove the two back to the neighborhood. "Well, Jacob Russell isn't home." Kevin commented, getting out of the passenger seat. The driveway to the Russell residence was empty, the two facing one another. "How you wanna do this?"

Olivia glanced around, counting the houses down the block. "I wanna say hit 'em together but there's a bunch. Split up, you take that side, I'll take this one." They shared a nod, splitting off, the girl making her way to the corner to knock on the first door.

A woman answered, her eyes darting past her, "Can I help you?" She leaned into the door as she gave her the spiel about asking around about the other night. "Oh Jessica... she was a sweet woman. She used to bring my father dinner in the winter months before I moved in. It's a shame what happened." A frown tugging onto her face.

"Did you maybe see anything in the last week or so? Anybody suspicious? Someone walking around late at night? A car you don't usually see? Anything." Her last comment seemed to remind her of something.

Her eyebrows lifted, "Oh! Yes, I remember there was a green Ford in front of our driveway last week. My husband had to go out and ask him to move. We'd never seen it before and I remember seeing it a couple times after that." She gave the detective a hopeful look.

Olivia pulled her notepad out quickly, "Okay, uh, did your husband get a look at him do you think? Or do you have any idea what the license plate was?" She bit at her lip, knowing it was a long shot and the answer to both was possibly no.

Which it was, "No, I'm sorry. And I don't know if he did or not. I'd let you ask him but he's at work all day." The woman frowned again, "I'm sorry I can't be of more help." She added, forcing a faint smile to the girl.