Chapter 16 - Journey (Unpolished)

Start from the beginning

The ceremony unfolded with a solemn grace as Jake, followed by the rest of our family, made his way through the dejected crowd, who had formed an alley for us. Tarsem, now adorned in the traditional Olo'eyktan garment, which was put on by Neytiri's mother, our Tsahìk, raised the ceremonial dagger into the air. It was a moment charged with tradition, yet different circumstances dictated a deviation from the usual events that would happen. Typically, the passing of leadership involved the old Olo'eyktan's demise, as they were challenged for the title, but this time, for the greater good, an exception prevailed.

With a resounding yell that echoed of the walls the protected the Tree of Souls, Tarsem thrust his fist into my father's chest, a symbolic gesture of power transition. To the onlookers, it appeared forceful, but Jake, unyielding, merely staggered, maintaining an unwavering gaze on the new leader. From my perspective he wanted to leave the way he had acted throughout his reign, strong. Tarsem withdrew his hand moments later, revealing a facade of strength and emotional restraint, a mask to conceal any trace of vulnerability. The weight of the moment pressed heavily on him, but he carried it with a stoic demeanor. Tears made their way in my eyes. This was it. It was done. The great Toruk Makto of our age was no longer the leader of the Omatikaya Clan.

The clan made way for our family again, a procession led by Jake, followed by Neytiri, Kiri, and the others. I trailed behind, as if I wasn't part of the family. Toruk Makto and his family's departure marked a significant moment of change, and again, it was because of the war with the humans. The collective emotion in the air was palpable, as sobs and crying were heard all throughout. For the first time, I felt a connection with the Na'vi around me, a shared sense of reverence and understanding.

As we moved through the crowd ever slowly, I realized that I had achieved the acceptance I had sought for years, nobody was looking at me with resent like they had all those years before. And like another huge middle finger from Eywa, came the realization that with this achievement I needed to leave it behind. The journey ahead would demand sacrifices, just like this one and the responsibility to forge a new path, leaving the familiar behind and facing challenges in new lands that were beyond my grasp right now.

The next few days heading back to High Camp were over in a breeze. Getting away from the Tree of Souls was something that definitely lifted the mood of everybody. No one was crying or sobbing anymore, we had other things to worry about now. One of these was what to take with us. Max wanted to make sure I had packed some spare filters for my exo pack, as well as a spare one and a few other things to repair both of them. He asked what felt like every two minutes if I indeed had put them in my bag. I thought the same was about to happen when I heard knocking on the door.

"Yeah?" I asked with my back to the door. I only heard it open and some footsteps entering before the door clicked into its frame again.

"Firin?" Max voice hit ears and I turned around, putting my hair out of my face. I looked expectantly at the older scientist. "Do you know where you're going to live from now?" I turned my head in confusion. Wait... I didn't. I hinted him to continue.

"Go on." I demanded.

"Have you ever heard of the Metkayina Clan?" I shook my head. He sat down on the singular chair that was standard in every dorm room before continuing. "Well, in short, they are a Clan of reef Na'vi. They live south to us on one of many small islands in an island group." I blinked.

"And why are you telling me this?" I stood up from the ground where I most of my stuff was spread about and sat down on my bed. "It wouldn't make that huge of a difference if we went up north into the mountains, right?" Max scratched his nose.

"I guess it doesn't." He stood up again. "But think about it, maybe pack some bathing shorts or something, maybe a fishing rod..." I looked at him weirdly, before he started laughing and left. Now I sat on my bed, kind of confused. The door opened again, and Max's head stuck out, speaking at me. "Just kidding of course. But do consider this for your mess." He meant my stuff that spread across the floor like some kind of moss.