FOUR

FOUR | OPTION A: A HOT ASSHOLE OF A MALE, OPTION B: JUST A STRAIGHT UP JACKASS

The sparring ring is where riders are made or broken. After all, no respectable dragon would choose a rider who cannot defend themselves, and no respectable cadet would allow such a threat to the wing to continue training.

—Major Afendra's Guide to the Riders Quadrant (Unauthorized Edition)

"Elena Sosa, Jace Sutherland." Captain Fitzgibbons read from the death roll, flanked by two other scribes on the dais as the quadrant stood in silent formation in the courtyard, squinting into the early sun. 

This morning, everyone was in rider black, and there was a single silver four-pointed star on Kamari's collarbone, the mark of a first-year, and a Fourth Wing patch on her shoulder. All first years were issued standard uniforms yesterday, summer-weight tight-fitted tunics, pants, and accessories after Parapet was over, but not flight leathers.

There was no point handing out the thicker, more protective combat uniforms when half of the quadrant won't be around come Threshing in October. The armored corset that Kamari's mother had made was not under regulation, but Kamari's uniform fit right in among the hundreds of modified uniforms.

"Dougal Luperco." Kamari stopped counting the names at some point during formation.

As cruel as it sounded there was no reason to remember people who couldn't make it in the quadrant. There was no reason to mourn someone you never knew. 

There were a hundred and fifty-six cadets on the first floor of the dormitory building, the beds positioned in four neat rows in the open space.

Even though Jack Barlowe was put in the third-floor dorms, Kamari refused to sleep unless there was a dagger under her pillow.

She would not be caught defenseless. Not now in a shared room. Private rooms were like flight leathers - you didn't get one until you survived Threshing.

"Simone Casteneda." Captain Fitzgibbons closed the scroll. "We commend their souls to Malek." The god of death.

There was no formal conclusion to the formation, no last moment of silence.

The names on the scroll left the dais with the scribes, and the quiet was broken as the squad leaders all turned and began to address their squads.

"Hopefully you all ate breakfast because you're not going to get another chance before lunch," Dain had been staring at Violet for the past twenty minutes but now he ripped his gaze away.