ONE

ONE | HELL SEEMS TO ONLY BE A FEW HOURS AWAY 

A dragon without its rider is a tragedy. A rider without their dragon is dead.

—Article One, Section One, The Dragon Rider's Codex

Conscription Day was the worst hell imaginable to mankind. 

Twenty-year-olds were competing for the chance at legendary futures. Each chooses a quadrant that they have trained for their entire lives. More than a hundred waiting for the chance to become a cadet and then the honor of being a true rider. Most fantasized about the chance of being in the skies riding a dragon that had chosen to bond with them. This all happened within Basgiath War College.

Basgiath was a fortress for the Riders' quadrant compared to the Scribes, Healers, and Infantry. Within the college, no matter the quadrant you choose you are to be shaped into the best of the best. The weak are killed off and the strongest fight for their name to be known. To give the next generation a legacy to live up to. It was the only way Navarre would survive. 

Kamari was no exception to the expectations of the young adults. Legacy or not she was going to do whatever it took to make her family proud. To keep her family name alive. 

Her home was as silent as the meadow that was near it. The only sounds you ever heard were the faint sounds of the crashing waves and wind lightly blowing. Rustling the trees and flower beds that had managed to survive in the grass around her house. 

Kamari double-checked her bag again and again. When going to Basgiath you were only allowed to take what you could carry. While Kamari knew she could fill her bag to the brim with only familiarities, she also knew it would be of no help when crossing the parapet. Her parents had prepared her and her brother for this day years in advance. Tight riding leathers that she had no business wearing till earned, but rules had never stopped Kamari before. Her clean boots had been hidden in the back of her closet for years. 

Kamari kept everything in her bag simple medical supplies, a sketchbook, and her father's and brother's flight jackets. Both jackets were highly decorated and Kamari would be no exception once she left the Basgiath in three years. She would make sure of it.

It slowly came over her that there was no other reason to procrastinate. There was no one in the house to say goodbye to. All that mattered now was making it over the parapet which was the only way across to the Rider Quadrant. That was all that stood between Kamari and being named a cadet. A narrow stone path that stood two hundred feet above a river valley.