𝟎𝟎𝟐 ⸺ hot squad leader

''Xavier Nott, Mattheo Abbott.'' Those are some of the names that Captain Fitzgibbons is reading from the death roll. On both sides stand two scribes as we stand in formation, listening to the fallen people. We stand in the courtyard, squinting into the sun.
I look down at my black tunic. There is a single, silver four-pointed star on my collarbone, the mark of a first-year, and the Fourth Wing patch on my shoulder. My eyes shift from my shoulder to my newest friend. Nymeria Sheffield, whom I officially met yesterday night.
I sat on my bed in the barrack on the first floor. I met the gaze of a woman who happened to be in my squad because I recognized her face. I extended my hand, accidentally showing my rebellion relice. I had watched her eyes shift to my hand before locking with mine. She accepted my hand and therefore, I noticed that same rebellion relic.
''I'm Aelin Vervain,'' I introduced. ''Nymeria Sheffield,'' she had introduced with a smile.
The memory disappears from my vision and then I notice Nymeria is looking at me. I send her a small smile before averting my gaze to Captain Fitzgibbons. He keeps on calling names but I lost count.
''Andromeda Newton,'' he reads and closes the scroll. ''We commend their souls to Malek.'' Malek, the God of Death. I watch the scroll leave with the scribes, who leave the dais. I suppose that is it. The Captain reads the names and that is it. No last moment of silence. Garrick turns to our squad, his eyes meeting mine for a brief moment before glancing around.
     "Hopefully you have broken your fast because the next chance to eat is at lunch," Garrick says. "You have received your schedule yesterday. Stick together because I would be relieved to see you all alive this afternoon in the sparring gym." Sparring is only twice a week and it is kind of exciting, you know earning or losing weapons.
     "And if we are not?" Luca, I think, asks. He is trying to be a smart-ass or something, however, I could only roll my eyes.
     "Then I won't be bothered to learn your name because it will be read off the scroll tomorrow," Garrick replies, arching his eyebrow. He turns to a first-year in our squad, Dorian I believe.
     "Dorian?"
     "I will get them there," he replies. I cast my eyes upon him and cannot help but feel sympathy. He is one of the repeats, meaning he didn't bond during Threshing. Most of the second-years walk away, except a few including Garrick.
     "You have about twenty minutes," he speaks. "Fourth floor, second room on the left. Don't be late and get your shit together." Dorian doesn't wait for a reply and heads off.
     "That must be difficult," Nymeria says. I shift my gaze to her, only to see her eyes fixed on something. "Yes," I say slowly before glancing over my shoulder. I meet Garrick's eyes and I swiftly shift my gaze back to Nymeria.
     "He cannot get his eyes off you, can he?" Nymeria questions with amusement. I tilt my head, pretending to be oblivious. "Hmm?" Nymeria gestures with her head toward Garrick, causing me to glance over my shoulder once again. And again, I meet his gaze. He hasn't looked away. He flashes me a smile, which I return before averting my gaze.
"He can't get his eyes off you, I tell you," she states. I chuckle but freeze once I hear another voice joining the conversation.
"Who cannot get his eyes off you?" My heartbeat manages to skip a beat. My muscles tense and a heat creeps up my neck. Fuck. I remain silent, however, Nymeria spills the beans.
"Hot squad leader," Nymeria grins and nudges her head in the direction of Garrick. Do I want to look at Xaden? No, not at all. I hear him scoff before I feel an arm gripping my waist. He pulls me away from them and walks away, leaving both Nymeria and Garrick stunned behind. What the fuck?
     "Xaden, what-"
     "Vervain," he snarls, cutting me off. I glance aside only to see that same tensed jaw. Is he really fucking jealous?
     "What is your problem?" I huff. He stops walking, however, his grip around my waist doesn't leave. He turns to me as his eyes meet mine. I fail to read any emotion in his eyes.
     "You shouldn't be getting laid with a second-year or higher," he grits through his teeth. "Because people will talk about how you slept your way in." His argument is annoyingly strong. My mind is clouded with anger, not able to think straight.
     "How is that any of your business? With whom am I supposed to sleep then? You?" I rant. His face is dangerously close to mine and I am almost sure he can hear my heart beating in my throat. Something flickers in his onyx eyes but I fail to see what it is.
     "It is not any of my business," he replies in a calmer tone. "I care for you and I'm looking out for you. Besides, I am a gentleman." I suck a breath, ready to risk it all on day one. Who cares?
     "What if I said I wanted you." There I said it. My heartbeat thunders in my chest, ready to pump out of me. Once again, something flickers in his onyx eyes but I cannot tell what.
     "That would be unwise, Aelin," he whispers. A shiver runs down my spine once my name rolls off his tongue. I watch his eyes flicker to my lips and back to my eyes. I saw that, Riorson.
     ''As if you wouldn't want me, Xaden,'' I speak in a whispering tone. My fingers wrap around his hand that is around my waist and remove his grip. I break loose from his grip and walk away, hoping I will meet Nymeria on the way.
     ''No, I would not. I hold high resp...'' I hear his words fade. I cannot deny that I am curious about the rest of his sentence. I hold high respect, I finish his sentence knowing he would have said that. As someone who has a crush, this situation is difficult and it hurts. It is just a common and stupid crush. I exhale through my nose and lift my chin.
     ''Okay, fuck you then.''