Thinking Out Loud

Start from the beginning

"No thank-you, Ed," Double D grimaced at the mess his friend was making and then reached for his cellphone.

He was disappointed to see that Kevin had not answered his question. He considered calling the man when he noticed that someone was setting up a guitar and microphone on the small stage ducked off into the corner of the café. This must have been the show Kevin was talking about.

Ed didn't seem to notice or care, neither did anyone seated at the small tables around the room, and Eddy was still at the counter flirting with the cashier, but Double D definitely took notice. He knew how much respect Kevin had for struggling musicians or artists, and Double D respected Kevin for that. It really wouldn't surprise Double D if Kevin, who was slowly but surely becoming a novice on the acoustic guitar, wanted to perform in a place like this one day. Now that he thought about, the cherry red guitar that now rested on a short stand looked incredibly familiar, as did the red cap of the man on stage and the red hair hidden underneath it. Wait. He would recognize that red hair anywhere.

Kevin turned around to face the two spotlights that were shining down in front of him. They were not blinding, thankfully, and he had spotted Double D the moment he walked out onto the stage. When he looked out at him a second time, it was clear that Double D had seen him. Shock, confusion, and curiosity were written all over his animated face.

What are you doing? Double D mouthed almost frantically.

Kevin smiled and winked. He then sat on the stool that the café had provided and tapped gently on the microphone he had rented himself.

"Hello? Is this thing- Yes. Hey. Hey, everyone! Um. My name is Kevin, and I'm here because I have a truly incredible person in my life that's been my side for years. We've been through a lot together. We've grown up together, and I honestly could not imagine my life without him. So I have a song that I would like to perform in honor of him. This is for you, D."

The few people who were actually paying attention as Kevin barely reacted at the revelation of Kevin's dedication, but that was unimportant. The only person Kevin had eyes for in the room was sitting at the table just to the left of the stage with his mouth hanging open in a manner that should have been unattractive but wasn't and had a grip on his Windows phone that was surely painful.

Only a small part of him was actually nervous for what he was about to do. The rest of him was entirely focused on Double D and doing the song justice for him.

Kevin situated his guitar onto his knee and adjusted the mic one final time.

He struck the first chord with his favorite pick that was given to him by Double D, and he began to sing.

"When your legs don't work like they used to before. And I can't sweep you off of your feet. Will your mouth still remember the taste of my love? Will your eyes still smile form your cheeks?"

All of those who had not paid Kevin any mind before quickly realized that this kid had some talent. He was far from an expert on the strings, but he was worth listening to. His voice and words were more than enough to carry the song and its meaning.

"Darling, I will be loving you til we're seventy. And baby, my heart will still fall as hard at twenty-three."

By the time he reached the chorus, Double D was an absolute silent mess of flesh and bone and an intense love for the man on stage. Eddy managed to make his way over to him if only to lift his chin from where it was resting on the table, but Double D couldn't give two shits about what he looked like in that moment. All he cared about was Kevin who kept singing even as Double D was sure another word was going to cause multiple disconnections between his heart and the rest of his body.